Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell GX60 sound issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

Hi I have down loaded the sound driver from dell using the Dell tag number, I made a folded dedicated to Dell drivers. I opened th file in that folder it shows up fine, when I go to update driver and try to load it driver XP is not finding it. Any ideas welcomed!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

That happens often enough, IME.

I usually just double-click the .exe file in the driver folder to get around it...or move the folder to a different location and then scroll to that (if I go through Device Manager's update mechanism).

FWIW: I always uninstall old drivers before attempting to install new ones. I don't want the possibility of old drivers interfering with install of the new, whether the cause be damage or whatever.

Louis

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

Louis it is a fresh load of XP3, I had to do chip set, video, wireless etc but getting the sound on is getting a bit stale! Will give it a few more tries later! Thanks!!!

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

I usually just double-click the .exe file in the driver folder to get around it

Same here.
It ought to work. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

I figured out what is happening, I got this machine for free racked with all kinds of issues. I did a reinstall with format, problem is I used a non Dell XP sp2 disc. Not having the dell base the dell drivers do not want to load, I will have to try to find a generic driver or just do without sound. The machine for what it is runs fine could use s good jolt of ram only 256 in it now but 2g would wake it up a bit. So my hunt will be on for a generic sound driver.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 06 January 2010 - 09:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users