Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Program disk; can't extract info from other disks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Steen4

Steen4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

I hope I've posted this in the correct forum area. If not, just prod me over into the right one. Back in the early '90s, I bought a program from MicroLogic called "MoreFonts for WordPerfect 6.0" that provided extended functionality for WP by providing font-scaling and special text effects. The package consisted of three disks: the program disk and two disks of fonts. The fonts come archived in a single giant .PRG file on each disk. In order to extract the fonts (which could be extracted as truetype, type 1, or .FOT [Micrologic's proprietary outline font format]), the main program had to be run. There was also an option to receive an additional fonts disk upon registration, which I did (free fonts? Of course!).
I had absolutely no use for the program itself, just the fonts, which I used with Pagestream for the ST (yeah, yeah, I know. Laugh if you must...). I extracted the fonts as Type 1, but since Pagestream did not need the .PFM files, and HD space was a lot more precious back then, I deleted them. A few years later, I decided that having those .PFM files might be a good idea, so I tried to re-install the program on my PC and extract the files again. I was given the "Disk not formatted" message. *Groannn*... Looking at the disk with a sector editor, I could see that there were problems with both FATs, but it looked like FAT1 could have been re-created with no problem if I could have made an image copy of the disk (I wouldn't try that kind of repair on an original), but it was copy-protected. I tried to call MicroLogic for a replacement disk (the manual had an offer to replace defective disks inside the manual), but they were no longer in business. Apparently, MicroLogic went through a baffling series of buyouts and mergers. I didn't know that at the time, though, so I settled for regenerating new .PFM files with a font editor.
Recently, though, I came upon the program disks and wondered if it were possible to retrieve those original font files, either by performing a repair on the program disk or finding another way to extract the necessary files. I remember that When I poked around with my sector editor, there was information about PKWare, but .PRG is not a valid extension for archive files. Copying the archive files to my HD and renaming the extension to a valid archive type didn't work, either...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

Question, are you sure they will even be compatible with your present operating system?

Also, have a look in our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps sub-forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
You should find something there that would work just as well
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users