Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:28 AM
I hope I've posted this in the correct forum area. If not, just prod me over into the right one. Back in the early '90s, I bought a program from MicroLogic called "MoreFonts for WordPerfect 6.0" that provided extended functionality for WP by providing font-scaling and special text effects. The package consisted of three disks: the program disk and two disks of fonts. The fonts come archived in a single giant .PRG file on each disk. In order to extract the fonts (which could be extracted as truetype, type 1, or .FOT [Micrologic's proprietary outline font format]), the main program had to be run. There was also an option to receive an additional fonts disk upon registration, which I did (free fonts? Of course!).
I had absolutely no use for the program itself, just the fonts, which I used with Pagestream for the ST (yeah, yeah, I know. Laugh if you must...). I extracted the fonts as Type 1, but since Pagestream did not need the .PFM files, and HD space was a lot more precious back then, I deleted them. A few years later, I decided that having those .PFM files might be a good idea, so I tried to re-install the program on my PC and extract the files again. I was given the "Disk not formatted" message. *Groannn*... Looking at the disk with a sector editor, I could see that there were problems with both FATs, but it looked like FAT1 could have been re-created with no problem if I could have made an image copy of the disk (I wouldn't try that kind of repair on an original), but it was copy-protected. I tried to call MicroLogic for a replacement disk (the manual had an offer to replace defective disks inside the manual), but they were no longer in business. Apparently, MicroLogic went through a baffling series of buyouts and mergers. I didn't know that at the time, though, so I settled for regenerating new .PFM files with a font editor.
Recently, though, I came upon the program disks and wondered if it were possible to retrieve those original font files, either by performing a repair on the program disk or finding another way to extract the necessary files. I remember that When I poked around with my sector editor, there was information about PKWare, but .PRG is not a valid extension for archive files. Copying the archive files to my HD and renaming the extension to a valid archive type didn't work, either...