Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp home will not start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mcitro

mcitro

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

Hello. I am new to the forum and have a problem with my computer not booting. I was having problems with the google error and another error (msascu.exe) or something like that. I installed all kinds of spyware removal products SAS, Trend Micro, Malwarebytes, HitmanPro3. The Malwarebytes program never would install or run so I tried Hitman Pro 3 and when it was done scanning and I rebooted the system, it ran through the chkdsk stages and when it was all done it would not boot. It starts, flashes the blue screen, then goes to the screen withe the safe mode options (all of which do not work). I would like to keep the files on the computer (mainly the pictures) if I could. How do I fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

Dupe input deleted.
Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 January 2010 - 12:02 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

FWIW: You might want to read the comments by Mr. Chandler at http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/1...alware-scanner/, paying particular attention to his testing the capabilities of Hitman Pro 3.5.

What is the error message on the BSOD? If you could provide that, it might go a long way toward telling us what is wrong.

As for removing your files...my easy answer is to remove your hard drive, temporarily attach it to another system as a secondary drive...then move your data files from it.

While the drive is attached to the other system...you might as well run the chkdsk /r command on it, following the procedures listed under Starting Check Disk at http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html.

Louis

#4 mcitro

mcitro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

I will check that tonight when I get home. I'm not sure what the BSOD is and how to access it's error message. Sorry but I am quite the novice when it comes to this.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

No problem, we are all novices of a sort :thumbsup:.

You can use Google to look up jargon, etc.

Owning a computer is a very educational undertaking for users who care about their systems and who want to know how to keep them running...I've been playing with this for over 10 years and I don't feel as if I'm anything but a "somewhat knowledgeable user" who is constantly learning bits and pieces, here and there :flowers:.

Louis

#6 mcitro

mcitro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

This is the message on the BSOD.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this sceen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check
for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x86F56298,0xC0000102,0x00000000)

As for backing up my data on this computer, how do you add the hard drive of one laptop to another as a secondary to pull the files from???

Thanks

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

<<...how do you add the hard drive of one laptop to another as a secondary to pull the files from???>>

You use an enclosure such as the ones listed at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users