Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INTERNET 2010 VIRUS

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mcafeesnotgood

mcafeesnotgood

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:09 AM

Running xp on an inspiron laptop. Son says he clicked out of a pop up on myspace
Anyone heard of this one? I think it has put me down for the count.

McAfee stated they had quaranteed it so I logged off and cut the pc off.

Now, I can't sign in. It just logs me back out, then back in, ad infinitum. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:50 AM

Hello, do you remember what McAfee deleted?

Also, have you tried Last Known Good Configuration and safe mode? If you don't know how to do that, let me know :thumbsup:

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 mcafeesnotgood

mcafeesnotgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:33 AM

Hello, do you remember what McAfee deleted?

Also, have you tried Last Known Good Configuration and safe mode? If you don't know how to do that, let me know :flowers:

It won't let me log into safe mode or last known good config, McAfee stated they had quarantined the virus. I use this pc at my store, so I took it to Quality Computers $170.00 and will take several days. :thumbsup: This virus is a bad one.

Thanx for replying
richard

Edited by mcafeesnotgood, 07 January 2010 - 08:38 AM.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,824 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

Aww, I am really sorry to hear you have to pay so much for that :thumbsup:

I would be glad to help you any further with this if you still need help, just let me know if you still have the computer there or if it is already to the repair shop.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 mcafeesnotgood

mcafeesnotgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

Aww, I am really sorry to hear you have to pay so much for that :thumbsup:

I would be glad to help you any further with this if you still need help, just let me know if you still have the computer there or if it is already to the repair shop.

I can get it back from the repair shop.

from what little I can understand, since it has taken over the start up commands, I would have to create a disk to over ride.
Is this true?

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,824 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

from what little I can understand, since it has taken over the start up commands, I would have to create a disk to over ride.
Is this true?

No, not entirely, we may need a disk to be able to put a missing file back, but that is not too complicated (I will be able to provide you with detailed steps for that).

As long as you have a computer to access the internet and the possibilities to write a CD, we will most likely be able to get it booting again :thumbsup:

Of course there are never guarantees, but I have a pretty good idea where to start looking. IMO it doesn't hurt trying first before paying a lot of money at a repairshop...

Its up to you, just let me know :flowers:

Edited by elise025, 07 January 2010 - 09:32 AM.

regards, Elise

#7 Concept82

Concept82

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

I have the same issue with Internet Security 2010, it kept loggin me in then out straight away, It is an intermittent issue for me, when I reboot and may work the next time, im trying to get it fixed at the moment

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,824 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

Concept82, thats another problem, if you need help for this, please start a separate topic in this forum.

EDIT ~ I see you have already a topic about that where you are being helped.

Edited by elise025, 07 January 2010 - 09:37 AM.

regards, Elise

#9 mcafeesnotgood

mcafeesnotgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

Is this true?

No, not entirely, we may need a disk to be able to put a missing file back, but that is not too complicated (I will be able to provide you with detailed steps for that).

As long as you have a computer to access the internet and the possibilities to write a CD, we will most likely be able to get it booting again :thumbsup:

Of course there are never guarantees, but I have a pretty good idea where to start looking. IMO it doesn't hurt trying first before paying a lot of money at a repairshop...

Its up to you, just let me know :flowers:

Okay. Thanx Esie. I'm on my way to retrieve the inspiron. I can use my home pc for what else we may need.

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,824 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

Let me know when you are ready :thumbsup:

regards, Elise

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,824 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

First of all, I need to know when exactly your computer is rebooting. Do you still see the XP splash screen and if so, does it just flash briefly or is it on for a longer period of time.

Or do you get at the logon screen, see your wallpaper and are then logged off?

Please try to be as detailed as possible, this will help me determine where the problem is :thumbsup:

Do you have your XP disk at hand? If not, we might need to burn a small file to a CD.

regards, Elise

#12 certifiednerd

certifiednerd

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:26 AM

i this case the userinit file is currupted, very common for infections to cause this. if you replace that file with a good one from another system, it should get you right to the desktop.....but one problem, your system is deffinitly infected, and most likely there is going to be a rootkit involved.

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,824 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

certifiednerd, its impossible to say and it certainly isn't a good idea to start replacing things without knowing the cause.

There are more than a few possible causes and solutions for this problem.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users