Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP hidden games

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sheva249

Sheva249

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hi friends,

Recently I have heard that there are some hidden games comes inbuilt with the Windows XP. Is it true?? If yes then please tell me the way to find or unlock them. waiting for reply.

Thanks

Edited by Sheva249, 05 January 2010 - 12:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

While there aren't (to my knowledge) any hidden games in Windows XP, there are a number of neat tricks as well as some basic built-in cheats for the existing games (like solitaire, etc.) Take a look here for a list of these so-called "Easter Eggs" http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/XPSecrets.html

Microsoft used to include some pretty impressive hidden games in their software, the most impressive and famous of these being a complete flight simulator hidden inside MS Excel 97. However, Microsoft has since instituted a policy whereby they forbid their developers from adding such extras to their software. Violation of this rule is said to result in termination. While it may seem that this rule is overly stodgy and rains on everyone's software parade, there is a good reason for it: Easter Eggs may represent a security risk.

Several years ago, Microsoft announced that they were shifting their entire focus, company-wide, to security and making their products as secure as possible. This included excising and banning Easter Eggs.

Easter Eggs are, by definition, unofficial and undocumented features of a program that make it react in unexpected ways. Often, the company itself is unaware of these extras added by their developers and therefore is unable to test for vulnerabilities that may be introduced by them. Such potential risks make any product less attractive to customers who demand secure products such as government and large corporations. It also looks bad if something critical, like a computer in a hospital, fails due to a company's product failing.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 05 January 2010 - 01:42 PM.

#3 Sheva249

Sheva249
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

Windows XP have quite many hidden features. they are usually remains unknown for us. like as it contains a built-in movie with it (process can be found on youtube). in the same way it conains some hidden games too. Please help me out in finding them.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:17 AM

ive found some hidden apps and cheats (instant win on free cell and solitaire for example) but I do believe andrew is right there are no games that I can find.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 sotoj159

sotoj159

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:20 AM

yea, if you press the start button, then press run: type in "telnet" (without the quotations), hit enter or press ok

then a black box pops up.....type in the letter "o", hit enter.
then type in "towel.blinkenlights.nl", and hit enter.

after you do this, a hidden movie starts. it's like the first 5 or 10 minutes of the movie "star wars episode 4".....it's in black and white, and it's all done with keyboard characters....it's pretty cool.

Edited by sotoj159, 17 January 2010 - 02:21 AM.

#6 gamemaster1494

gamemaster1494

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

yea, if you press the start button, then press run: type in "telnet" (without the quotations), hit enter or press ok

after you do this, a hidden movie starts. it's like the first 5 or 10 minutes of the movie "star wars episode 4".....it's in black and white, and it's all done with keyboard characters....it's pretty cool.

That isn't a hidden movie. That is connecting to a server and playing something someone made. It isn't hidden.

#7 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

I got a new computer with XP in it 3 years ago and it has some games in it as it came.
Start/All Programs/Games ,there's about 10 games including Solitare,Hearts,Pinball etc. I only looked at them recently,fun sometimes if I'm really bored...

#8 Mike20132

Mike20132

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

I want to know why they want to hide this? They are not things that should be kept secret, they are supposed to be faced with users when it's designed.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Contrary to popular belief this is not a hidden or secret game. By definition Telnet is a communication command see below from Wikipedia:

Telnet is a network protocol used on the Internet or local area networks to provide a bidirectional interactive text-oriented communication facility using a virtual terminal connection. User data is interspersed in-band with Telnet control information in an 8-bit byte oriented data connection over the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP).

In other words you are using a command line type instruction to ask the the program known as towel.blinkenlights.nl to run on your machine.

There is even a web page dedicated to fun places to use telnet.

http://www.telnet.org/htm/places.htm

Oh look #1 is from blinkenlights.nl

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 wantei

wantei

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

I've never heard of hidden games in XP. I like the easter eggs though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users