Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favorites not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 compunerd

compunerd

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hi,

My Favorites guit working on a few days ago. I get the box with all my saved sites but they don't load up so when I click on any site nothing happens. How do I get it going again?

Thanx in advance!
Randy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:30 AM

Unusual...what happens when you click on a listed Favorite?

What happens if you click Start\All Programs\Windows Update?

Louis

#3 compunerd

compunerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

I still have the little yellow folders. when I click on a given folder, everything in that folder has a square with the right top corner cut off that has a red dot & a blue dot inside and a blue bar on top in front of the saved site's name. I think this is the icon you see when a folder/file isn't loaded up yet. Although in my case, it's not loading at all.

I just tried the Windows Update, no change whatsoever.

I just recently removed some malware. Could these scans have possibly be causing this issue? Antivir Free, MS securiy essentials, Windows Defender, MBAM, SAS, ATF cleaner, SAS in safe mode. All in that order.

Or maybe it was the malware itself, "Malware Defense".

OK, just went into favorites from Documents & Settings and it appears the same way. All contents have the blue "e" in front of them which I think means that my favorites got wiped out.

I'm going to try to save a site and see what happens.

I attempted to save this site (BC). Favorites did not save it.

Edited by compunerd, 05 January 2010 - 11:47 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:47 AM

You might try a repair of IE, although I'm not sure that's the problem.

Try running chkdsk /r on your C: partition.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to query and hit Enter. Reboot, the chkdsk will execute and then boot into XP when command has completed.

Louis

#5 compunerd

compunerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:24 AM

I just finished a chkdsk /r. No change. Haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE8 yet. I guess that is my next step?

#6 compunerd

compunerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

I just got my favorites working again simply by uninstalling and reinstalling IE8. Works great now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users