Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alienware gaming computer? I have never done this before?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 technohobbit17

technohobbit17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

I need a new computer. It will be used for gaming. Will these specs be enough? What should I upgrade?

Processor: Intel® Coreā„¢ i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor
Video card: Single 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeonā„¢ HD 5870
Memory: 6GB Triple Channel 1067MHz DDR3
Hard drive: 1TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD
Optical drive: Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fiā„¢ Xtreme Audio
Monitor: 22" Dell ST2210 Full HD Widescreen Monitor

Will this be enough to play the newest games on high settings, and new titles for a reasonable length of time? Particularly the 2.66 ghz processor?
I also want to ensure I will be able to upgrade parts easily later on. This will be easy, right?

Thanks

Edit: Moved topic from Internal Hardware to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 04 January 2010 - 10:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 youthedog4

youthedog4

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

Yes, that is quite good enough to run games like Call of Duty on it's highest settings.

#3 imwright1985

imwright1985

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

i7's use the new chipset for laptops, should be good for a little while(even though those processors are reduculously expensive), im like 1 step behind you with my MSI and its still awsomecant wait for the old quadcores to drop then im updating mine a bit

#4 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:05 AM

Why not make a custom computer? Getting one of them Aleinwares is pretty much a premade which greatly reduces the value for money on it(well most of the time). I guess that machines costs a tonne, surprise surprise when you're dealing with Alienware/Dell.

My advice. Buy the parts seperate and build it yourself. Those exact specs would probably be alot cheaper if you built it yourself and it's not a hard thing to do either. Post your budget and me or someone else will put together a good computer for you.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#5 imwright1985

imwright1985

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:19 AM

yeah pending your price i would go with an MSI gx720 and use a tv or get an actual monitor then you can use it here and there and meet most of those specs for around 1100, or build a custom desktop rather than the alienware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users