Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are "no longer updated" web pages safe?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

I don't know anything about putting up a web page or web page security. Are web pages hacked into? If so, is that a rare, "growing" or common problem? Would a person of evil intent consider a web page no longer updated a target or not worth their effort?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

Are web pages hacked into? If so, is that a rare, "growing" or common problem? Would a person of evil intent consider a web page no longer updated a target or not worth their effort?

While larger legitimate sites may be the ultimate target. Any site could in theory be used for 'target practice'.

See the following for more information:

Security experts describe the typical hacker of 2009 as more sophisticated, prolific and craftier than ever. If anything, criminals will be remembered by the sheer number of attacks they unleashed upon the Web.

While the year didn't see many technological leaps in the techniques hackers employ, they continued to expand their reach to every corner of the Internet by leveraging social media, infiltrating trusted Web sites, and crafting more convincing and tailored scams.

For more on the article use the link below.

Quote from: SF Gate article by Alejandro Martínez-Cabrera, Chronicle Staff Writer Saturday, December 26, 2009

The information that took me aback most was the following: "An October report from the San Jose company estimated that 640,000 legitimate Web sites became infected in the third quarter of 2009, compared with 120,000 infected sites during the same period of 2008."

Bold is mine. An astounding 433.3% increase. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Animal. Neat, neat, neat avatar [?correct term/spelling]

That was a really depressing article but important info to be aware of. So basically, any site can potentially be unsafe and the problem is increasing [exploding]. Well, I'm certainly further encouraged to keep working on my personal security knowledge base and less encouraged about doing my own webpage. Don't have time anyway.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users