Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Internet Explorer Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:16 PM

Hi. I don't ask for help unless I absolutely have to. I've read all the topics that looked like they could help and none of them seemed to address a problem such as mine.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional version 2002 Service Pack 3 (old as dirt.)

The problem: My computer will lag up and sometimes it will deselect whatever I am doing. I'll be typing and all of the sudden the window will be deselected and nothing I typed will have been put down. Maybe that's not a serious problem, but I'll see if I can get a screen shot of what I mean. It has happened three times since I have been typing this which has been 25 minutes or so. Ok got one: Posted Image
Whenever that deselection thing happens it seems like internet explorer is opened up. I can't see the window. I can only see that internet explorer is open when I look in the processes tab of Windows Task Manager. Sometimes there are multiple Iexplorers running at the same time. Screenshot of iexplorer in the process list: Posted Image

Yesterday Firefox and Internet Explorer were crashing constantly. I uninstalled internet explorer 7 to see if it would stop crashing and opening up multiple times(in the process list). That didn't work. Is it an older version of iexplorer that's on the computer that's causing this? I don't even use internet explorer. It's just the fact that it's opening without me asking it to is bugging me. Plus the fact that it's slowing down my computer.
Reinstalled firefox last night too. It hasn't crashed but once today.

A couple weeks ago my computer was infected with that "Malware Defense" program. I fixed that with this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-malware-defense guide. Yesterday I ran Malwarebyte's Anti-malware and removed a single rootkit. I believe it was named rootkit.TDSS. Something like that. I have symantec and Spybot as well. The scans from those showed nothing. There's definitely something wrong though. All this nonsense just started happening. The computer was running beautifully for a year.

I'm also getting what looks like a fake alert over the right corner of the task bar saying, "Symantec Auto-Protect is disabled."

My computer has gotten considerably slower in the span of a month. Something is up. I would greatly appreciate any help. If anyone needs any other information or more detailed descriptions let me go and I will post them.

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by Malleus Maleficarum, 04 January 2010 - 10:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trev47

trev47

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:49 AM

Try running TDSSKiller from kaspersky http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684
Then run atf cleaner and clean all (Make sure that you select the firefox tab as well and clean all).
Run an online antivirus scan at eset.com

#3 Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

Issue is resolved as of now. I did full reinstalls of a lot of stuff on my computer. Cleaned out the 500,000 page long history log in firefox and everythings working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users