Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1TB HDD [(which one(s)]

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lurkynot

lurkynot

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

I am looking to swap out the 2 250GB drives for 2 1TB drives in my PC due to limitations for storing and backing up edited HD camcorder footage.

On a site like Newegg.com there several "bare drives" with prices from 84.00 - 199.00. Not really sure of the differences.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zuXi

zuXi

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

I recently made a build, im using Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB.
I have no issues with it, and im happy with the performance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

Although I have one...I would never encourage anyone to buy a 1TB or larger hard drive.

Hard drives go bad every day, with regularity, has been that ways since I first acquired a computer. I'm sure that putting all one's data on one hard drive...is not fundamentally sound, based on hard drive failure possibilities and the fact that most users who need to...do not backup their systems.

I feel more confidenct with 500GB or smaller drives, knowing that the potential risk is spread among more drives.

Just personal opinion...

Louis

#4 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

"Hard drives go bad every day, with regularity, has been that ways since I first acquired a computer. I'm sure that putting all one's data on one hard drive...is not fundamentally sound, based on hard drive failure possibilities and the fact that most users who need to...do not backup their systems."

hence the need for 2 - 1TB HDD.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:12 AM

Ditto, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB. I have 2, fine so far.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users