Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU not recognizing new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn M.

Shawn M.

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

I bought a new, low capacity (Seagate 80 GB) hard drive to try to resurrect my system. I could no longer boot from my old drive (due to damaged system files via malware, I believed). My system will not recognize the new drive.

My motherboard is about 2 years old (Asus M2A-VM series). I removed my old HDD and reconnected the new drive to the same cables (SATA) and power inputs. When I power up my computer the new hard drive is not recognized in setup, however, I can feel the new drive physically running power.

I have 2 red SATA inputs and have tried them both unsuccessfully.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I had that motherboard until last week (gave system away).

For what it's worth...it doesn't matter which SATA connector you slot the drive to.

Where did you acquire this 80GB hard drive?

Did you set the BIOS to boot from the optical drive?

Is the new drive properly recognized in the BIOS?

Do you have any miscellaneous drives attached when attempting to install XP?

When

#3 Shawn M.

Shawn M.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

I bought the 80 GB drive from newegg (Seagate).

The CD drive is secondary boot, when I put the Windows XP cd in I get a "No hardrive detected" during Windows setup.

BIOS does not recognize hard drive. I'm assuming the hardware should appear in one of the SATA slots (I don't remember how my previous setup appeared)? It does not.

The only other drive I have connected is the CD drive.

Also, when I try to hook up my old hard drive again in the same position, that is not detected either. I'm not sure if that means anything.

Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

Not good...but I would make the optical drive the 1st option anytime I am attempting to install the O/S.

The hard drive should be the second option...and it should be recognized in the BIOS, along with the optical drive.

The only suspect I could come up with would be the CMOS battery, although it's possible for the drive to be DOA and, therefore, not recognized in the BIOS. But...the original hard drive ought to be recognized...so that refutes the DOA line of thought.

Well...with the system powered down, remove the RAM modules and then put them back in. Probably no impact, but I try simple stuff first when confronted with this type of situation.

I would resplace the CMOS battery because it's cheap and easy and may help, but won't hurt.

My next guess...would be just that, a guess :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users