Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registr Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flyinlion

flyinlion

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:48 PM

For some stupid reason I downloaded this registry cleaner app. from Softwareonline, only to discover it was a trial thing and would only partially do the task. It said I had over 200 registry errors and would only fix 20 unless I bought the premium packege. Now I can't get rid of the thing. It won't uninstall from add/remove programs or w/the uninstall app. bundled w/the software itself. Keeps saying "Invalid INSTALL.LOG". First, how do I get rid of this dog and second, was it probably correct w/all of the registry errors it found? If there are so many problems w/my registry, how do I fix them? :thumbsup:

Thanks for any help,
FL
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:48 AM

Hello flyinlion and welcome to BC.

What is your operating system?

The first thing to try is to re-install then uninstall the program. If that doesn't work go to its folder in Program Files and let us know what is in there. If all you see is whatever.exe go ahead and delete the folder.

Another option is to use Add/Remove Pro.

Add/Remove Pro v. 2.08 - displays the entries in the Add/Remove Programs list of Windows Registry, checks if each is valid, and uninstalls the selected program or removes the entry from the list.

You may well have 200 errors as perceived by that program but I wouldn't bet on it. A frequently used practice by programs like these is to use what are called "false positives as a goad to purchase". In other words they show you things that may not be true to get you to buy the program.

Ccleaner has a registry cleaner as well as a tool to remove stubborn programs. It also cleans a lot of junk files from your computer.

Be aware that it is not generally necessary to clean your registry unless you have a specific problem you are dealing with.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 flyinlion

flyinlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:40 PM

Leurgy, Thanks for your reply. My OS is XP Home. I did a re-install and then uninstall but it didn't work. It went thru the usual uninstal process, (which it wouldn't do before), and said successfully uninstalled but it still shows up in Add/Remove programs, and in my programs folder. It will execute if clicked on.

Add/Remove programs still gives me the Invalid INSTALL.LOG message, as does the RCUninstall APP. listed in the folder. Also the same with Add/Remove Pro.

I downloaded the Ccleaner program and ran that, deleted what it came up with and tried the uninstall process with that program. Still no luck. Got the same INSTALL.LOG message.

A buddy suggested scrubbing the hard drive but that is an option of last resort!?

Here are the contents of the Registry Cleaner folder:

Aff Creator DLL.dll 24KB Application Extention
Install 4KB Text Document
RCUninstall 36KB Application
RegClean 4,424KB Application
regclean.dll 126KB Application Extension
Registry Cleaner 40KB Compiled HTML file
RgBndl_fcb15 1,742 Application
UNWISE 146 KB Application

Questions:
Assuming the Application files are exe. can these just be deleted? I know that deleting w/out doing an uninstall doesn't always get rid of the program.

Would a HJT log help to figure this out?

On specific instructions from another forum, I once used killbox to help get rid of a stuborn virus. Is this an applicable option here?

Thanks Again for the help,
FL
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:31 AM

Killbox. :thumbsup: Thats pretty brutal. You won't need that as deleting will work but because there are a couple of .dll's involved it may cause other problems. Killbox is used to delete an active file (one that is in use) and can't be deleted any other way. That's not the situation in this case.

Lets see what those files are. Follow the instructions in How to see hidden files in Windows . That will let you see the file extensions. If this is a shared computer you may want to re-hide those files when your done.

Double click "Registry Cleaner 40KB Compiled HTML file". That is a "web page" that may contain some information. RCUninstall is no doubt the uninstaller. Unwise.exe is generally an uninstaller also. Try running those in that order.

If all else fails, make sure you have the download somewhere and delete the folder. If you start getting errors because the .dll's are gone (many .dll's are shared files, ie shared with other programs) then reinstall the program but I don't see that happening here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 flyinlion

flyinlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:04 PM

Well, neither of the uninstalls worked. Both gave me the same Invalid INSTALL.LOG message. I did the find hidden files thing to get the extensions and ended up deleting the entire program folder. No problems so far. It still shows up in Add/Remove Programs. I stopped it from loading on Startup so I suppose even if it's still in there somewhere, it's not doing anything. Is there any way to delete it from showing up in Add/Remove programs? Not that big of a deal but it irritates me just knowing it's there. Thanks for the help, man. I'm talking BC up to any of my buds who may need help.

Cheers,
FL
-Benjamin Franklin

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

Either Add/Remove Pro or Ccleaner will remove the entry from Add/Remove Programs.

In Ccleaner go to Tools and highlight the program and click Delete Entry. Its something similar in the other one. I think its a seperate tab for that.

I am confident that program wasn't installed beyond the Program File. It may have made an entry or two in the Registry but thats no big deal.

By all means tell your friends. Lots of talented people hang out here who like to help.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:08 PM

The unwise file is the file packaged with the software to delete it I believe.

#8 TwinLakesChef

TwinLakesChef

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:15 AM

Had same problems with this program. Unwise does not uninstall; had to go into the folder and delete things individually; it would not let me delete the .dll files so I finally left it and renamed the folder "JUNK".

I despise programs like this; sorry that after all the years I have used computers, I somehow got taken in by this one. I don't even remember downloading it. ?

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

Hello TwinLakesChef and welcome to BC.

I don't even remember downloading it. ?

Maybe it was a Drive By Download. Malicious sites can install a program on your computer without your knowledge. If you are using Internet Explorer I'll post my little blurb about what to do to stop that from happening.

For some reason Install On Demand is enabled by default in Internet Explorer causing problems such as unauthorized downloads that install without your knowledge. To protect yourself against this situation do this:

In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and take the check mark from Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) and Enable Install On Demand (Other). The consequence of this will be that you will begin to see Security Warnings when something tries to install on your computer. Unless it is something you want to install (which happens rarely) always say no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users