Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Safe to Remove Device" Window Not Appearing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bub12

Bub12

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hi,

I have been working in another thread & it was suggested that I open a new thread pertaining to my problem, as my initial question has been answered but I have noticed a new issue. The problem being that I never actually receive the "it is safe to remove hardware" window when trying to safely remove a flash/thumb drive device. The following regurgitated info should explain my situation...

1. I right click on the usb icon in the tray & a very small window would pop up right next to the tray icon saying "safely remove hardware".
2. I left click that window & another very small window would pop-up saying "it is safe to remove hardware" (paraphasing)

OR

1. I left click on the usb icon in the tray & a very small window would pop up right next to the tray icon saying "safely remove usb mass storage device drive E:".
2. I left click that window & another very small window would pop-up saying "it is safe to remove hardware" (paraphasing)

However, when I perform either task, all I hear is the "Windows XP balloon wave" but do not receive the "it is safe to remove hardware" window.

Also, here is what happens when I do the following:

1. Double click the usb icon in the tray
2. The larger "Safely Remove Hardware" window pops up with "USB Mass Storage Device" item listed. (this window offers the option of "properties" & "stop"
3. I then can either click stop & be shown another window with specific names of the usb storage devices listed, from which I must choose one to stop. Or, I can double click the "USB Mass Storage Device" item listed in the large window & then the (same) window pops up showing specific names of the usb storage devices listed, from which I must choose one to stop.

But again, even when trying to safely remove via this method, after I hit "stop", I only hear a sound, but do not receive the "it is safe to remove hardware" window.

I hope that's clear....I tried to be as detailed as possible :-)

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

For those who want some background on what's already been done a summary is here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1565401

It might be helpful to backread to here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1552805

The question is approached even earlier than that but in the context of whether or not using Flash Disinfector and disabling auoturun for removable devices had an affect on the issue, which I don't believe it does.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#3 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

Well, I have a very interesting update...

I just backed-up some files to a cd & the window that typically appears, "you have files ready to be written to cd", did not appear! I only heard the corresponding "Windows XP balloon wave" sound & the corresponding icon was in the tray as well. When I clicked the icon, the window opened showing the files to be written to disc, as usual.

So, it seems as if there is some sort of problem that prohibits such small "verification" windows from appearing.

I hope this helps with the diagnosis. Thanks!

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,549 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hey bub--looks like I should have left your topic with zero replies so someone else could look into helping you, but your last post/update has given me insight into the exact terminology of the problem which makes it easy to research and in this case I may have an easy solutiion for you.

What you are having a problem with are not ""verification" windows", but are called balloon tips, also known as balloon notifications. That is why the sound files associated with it is called Windows XP balloon.wve.

Question: Do you recall ever having disabled balloon tipsin XP? I guess some people find them irritating. There are a lot of webpages with instructions on how to disable balloon tips. But they do have a functional aspect--as you've found out with XP's CD writing software. This is one reason I don't use such Windows tweaks, tips or hacks for non-critical issues. For one thing they usually have unforeseen consequences that such tips sites don't tell you about. Another is that my memory is not that good and so when those consequences come up, I forget what I did that might have caused it. In general they go against a prime principle of mine, especially when it comes to computers--"It doesn't mean you should, just because you can."

Anyway, go to the following webpage and let me know if any of this is familiar--and in any event check if the EnableBalloonTips value is there or not:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307729

If it is and the Dword value data is 0, then that would explain why you are getting no balloons. Before you try to re-enable them--if that is what you want to do--first make a backup of the Advanced key by clicking on the Advanced folder on the left of the regedit window to select it, then click File, then Export. Give the file a name and save it to your desktop or wherever is best for you to remember. If something strange happens after making the change, just double-click this file to re-import the registry key and allow it to merge--then we'll start over.

To re-enable balloon tips, you can change the Dword value data to 1 or just delete the EnableBalloonTips value.

Reboot and see if you have balloon tips now.

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#5 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:19 AM

Papakid,

Well, the good news is...I once again have "balloon notifications"! THANK YOU!!

I changed the value to "1", as you suggested. My question is...how the heck did the value go from "1" to "0" without my changing it?!!

I without a doubt, never changed the value, until now. All I can think of that I did was to change the "no drive type autorun" to "0xff" then to "0x91" then eventually back to "0xff", as we discussed in my initial thread. If you don't recall, my "no drive type autorun" was set at "24" (not sure if that translates to "0x24").

Again, as I mentioned in my initial thread, I could find no MS supporting documentation as to why my "no drive type autorun" was set to "24". Perhaps changing these values somehow impacted my balloon tips, although I can't see how.

I also began using Comodo Firewall not too long ago. Those are the only two changes that I can think of that I recently made to my machine.

Thank you so much for your help, patience & sticktoativeness! Of course I am open to any thoughts you may have as to just how the hell my balloon notifications disappeared to begin with :thumbsup:

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,549 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:19 AM

Well, you're welcome for the help and I'm glad it worked out for you. :thumbsup:

As far as how the value data got changed, your guess is as good as mine--or actually the question would be how the EnableBalloonTips value was added as it is apparent from the articles that that value does not exist when Windows is installed. Some one or some program had to run the registry editor for that value to be created in the first place. Are you the only person who has ever owned or had access to this computer? It might be possible that some security software disabled balloon notifications because rogue/scareware uses balloon tips to try to fool peopel into thinking they are getting a message from Windows when they aren't. But disabling all notifications would be a rather inelegant tactic in my opinion. I don't use Comodo--I suppose it could be responsible but I kind of doubt it. Altho their backup software is pretty stupid--again in my opinion.

Possibly one of the tools you ran during your time in the malware removal forum added that value--otherwise I can't think of any other software that would do that--an infection would want you to have balloon tips enabled.

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users