Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trillian or Threatfire problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cleokatrah

Cleokatrah

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

This is technically an issue to post on Trillian's forum, and I have, but my hopes aren't very high that they can solve it, as a preliminary search did not turn up many success stories with this particular error. I'm hoping you guys can maybe help me see something I can't.

Also, I have posted a duplicate thread over at Major Geeks. I do intend to close one or the other whenever I receive help. If you think it is rude to post the same problem on multiple forums then I won't be offended if I'm ignored or if this thread is deleted. I would however appreciate being told. Thanks.

Here is the issue I am having:

I had too many programs open the other day (shame on me) and froze up my desktop. I was able to bring up PC Tools Threatfire and kill several processes to unfreeze it. One of these processes was Trillian.exe. The other programs have all restarted up fine since then, but I continue getting an error with Trillian. The error states: "unable to read from or write to the configuration directory for this account".

After searching for this on the web and in Trillian's forum, I found the recommended solution was uninstalling Trillian, removing both the program folder and %appdata folder left behind, then reinstall. This did not work, so I did I uninstalled, removed the two folders again, removed the one instance left in my registry, scanned and removed all instances of "trillian" from my computer, ran clean up ware, registry cleanup ware, rebooted, disengaged both my firewall and Threatfire, and reinstalled once again. No dice. And the problem is now beyond me.

Aside from uninstalling Threatfire and PC Tools Firewall, and trying all the above yet again, I have no clue what to do. Obviously, trillian is either leaving a fragment I can't locate, or the kill exe process performed by Threatfire does something funny. I *need* Trillian to work because the only replacement program I know of is Pidgin, which I do not like for several reasons.

I run Windows XP w/service pack 3
AVG free
PC Tools firewall (free)
Threatfire (free)

For cleanup I use Glary Utilities and CC Cleaner.

I appreciate any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

Also try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and see if there are any remnants listed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
It's used for more than MS Office
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users