Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistent Infection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tricalibur

Tricalibur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

A few days ago my computer running Windows XP Professional was attacked by viruses. Within the course of about ten minutes McAfee detected and deleted something like ten trojans. However, after performing a full scan and quarantining any remaining viruses, I noticed a small X surrounded by a red circle on my system tray. Constant warning balloons would appear every so often to tell me that I had a virus and needed to download new software. In addition, on startup a similar warning would be displayed, I could not open up the task manager, many applications would not open due to "infection," and when I clicked on links in my browser (Firefox) I would often be redirected to a random web page. After much research I have given up on McAfee and after finding this site have run scans with both Malewarebytes' Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware. Something like 30 files have been quarantined and most of the problems have been fixed with the exception of the browser "jumping" web pages issue.

Any ideas?

Edited by Tricalibur, 04 January 2010 - 08:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tricalibur

Tricalibur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

I have run Super AntiSpyware and Anti-Malware several times since the last post and although I have eliminated more viruses, the problems listed still persist. In addition, the computer now tries to restart itself every five minutes due to a "DCOM server error." After researching I have discovered that this too is probably caused by a virus. I am unable to log on to certain web pages and sometimes my programs will not open or will close randomly before starting up completely.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of the error message:

Posted Image

Edited by Tricalibur, 24 January 2010 - 12:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users