Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc drive has vanished

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Des

Des

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:41 PM

Hi,
I got a message from my Power 2 Go express software which said 'no burning drive'.

Now I cannot find the drive anywhere, it is not in device manager & the option to send to d: has dissapeared.

If I put a cd in, it still functions (ie it makes noises - like its reading the disc) but there is no way to access the drive, so I cannot save to disc, watch dvds or anything.

It seems to have vanished. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Des

Des
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:13 AM

Further investigation shows that the drive I has been renamed as my cd drive but it does not have the properties for it. Drive I was always a denotion for removable hardawre, like memory keys.

Secondly, if I put it a memory USB key in now - it is seen as drive d. So I can't see my cd drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

#3 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:56 AM

Did your CD drive cable come loose? Check by taking off the side panel on your computer and see if the cable has unseated itself somehow. But before you do this unplug your computer and touch a metallic part of it to discharge static electricity.

Also, try putting a CD in the drive and going to Start> Run and type "D:/" to see if it accesses the disc.

Hpoe this helps!

-Nick

#4 Des

Des
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:41 AM

Thanks bud but no. I probably should have mentioned it is a laptop, I have checked the drive & it is secure.

Also, if i go to run, it simply says - the drive is unavailable, thanks for trying.

#5 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

Who makes the laptop? What Operating System does your laptop have on it? Assuming it is XP, open the control panel, and go to the device manager and click on the computer icon at the top with the magnifying glass on it. (You might have to click on something from the list for it to appear) It will scan for anything that has been added and does not have a driver installed, as it sounds like your cd-rom driver was uninstalled somehow. If it does find it, it will either have a driver to use, or you might have to download it from the manufacturers web site.

Good Luck, Nick

#6 Des

Des
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:48 AM

Nick,
Thank you very much for your help. I tried both those suggestions but neither proved fruitful. I then deceided it was (reluctantly) necessary to reload my whole system.

However, no real surpirse here, the boot disc would not load when the system was started!

Hence in dismay, I got clicking around & I believe my last action was clicking on the icon that had appeared (i), I chose restore defaults & hey presto my cd rom drive returned.

Ok, it is has been renamed e, but thats fine - I just wish I could pinpoint exactly what I did.

Oh well relieve & many thanks for your help & who knows perhaps this can help someone else.

Cheers, Des

Edited by Des, 22 August 2005 - 07:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users