Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet wont work with router

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 3e3e

3e3e

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi
i have 2 desktop and 1 laptop with netgear wired router which used to work fine but sometimes i get problems and just unplug the internet cable from the router n jsut plug it directly into my desktop and replug it back later on... but now when i replug into router the computers cant seem to connect to the internet but they seem to recognize the network but the internet wont work when connected from the router.... if i unplug n plug directly to desktop it works... ( i dont know if i wrote that clear so ill draw dis )
desktop ---> internet = work
desktop ---> router -----> internet = dont work

1st comp = Mine = desktop window 7
2nd = desktop window xp
3rd = laptop window vista
dont know if it matters but just putting more info...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

Have you unplugged the power to your router for a few seconds and plugged it back in?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 3e3e

3e3e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

yes

the computer recognizes the network but the internet dont work

#4 3e3e

3e3e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

also i recently builded new comp and is now running window 7 ... the older comp i used to use was using window xp...
i dont think this is relevent to the issue since it worked with the router previously

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:00 AM

On your PC - Click Start -> in the Search box type cmd -> in the list, right click cmd and click "Run as Admin" -> in the box that pops up type ipconfig /all and hit Enter. Do this when it is connected to the router.

I am interested in the IPv4 address and Default gateway.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 3e3e

3e3e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:26 AM

i was able to make it work by pressing the reset button on my modem...
but when connecting to my network using the laptop i found a network called netgear assuming it was my network resetted and unsecured ??? so do i need to reconfigure my router? or is it not my network ?

#7 3e3e

3e3e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:28 AM

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

out of curiosity what does it matter ?

Edited by 3e3e, 05 January 2010 - 02:28 AM.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:40 AM

It doesn't now, but I was curious what IP address you were getting and where you were getting it from.

If you reset your router then it wiped out any security you had set up on it. So you need to go back in and setup the security again.

#9 3e3e

3e3e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:04 AM

thx everything is good now

#10 3e3e

3e3e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

dam i got another problem :thumbsup: the router keeps losing the connection but when i plug it directly to the comp it works again :\ .... i dont know why it does this it does once a while i plug it directly to comp then later i plug it back it goes stable for months... maybe i didnt configure the router right ??

#11 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

DSL or Cable?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

the router keeps losing the connection but when i plug it directly to the comp it works again Are you talking about wireless is losing the connection? or the router is losing connection to the modem? did you reset the modem or router?

I am a little confused as to what is losing connection. Which PC is it btw?

#13 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

Many of these DSL modems are setup to work as routers. Even if it has only the internet and ethernet ports on the back it may. If you check your router what is the address it gets for the internet/WAN? If it is something like 192.168.2.x then more than likely this is the problem. Hook up directly to the modem and enter the default gateway address in your browser. If you should get a login window. Should be a default password like 1234. Turn off the DHCP and switch the modem to bridge mode and your connection should be stable.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users