Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NIS 2010 Virus Scanner .exe

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:32 PM

While digging through several programs, I found the virus scanner option. I remember using it before with Norton Internet Security 2010, but have now forgotten the executable location/name. Google-ing it came up with a page of badly rated torrents :thumbsup:.

Anyone know where it is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

Hi maki2012,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

If you have Norton Internet Security 2010 installed, you can launch the application via the Start menu. under the Norton Internet Security folder. If you can not locate it there, the name of the executable is "uistub.exe". The location of this file will vary depending on which version of Windows you are using. You can launch that executable and then choose "Run Scans".

Thanks,
Mike

While digging through several programs, I found the virus scanner option. I remember using it before with Norton Internet Security 2010, but have now forgotten the executable location/name. Google-ing it came up with a page of badly rated torrents :thumbsup: .

Anyone know where it is?

Edited by Michael York, 04 January 2010 - 07:35 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#3 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

Thanks. Do I need any parameters with it?

EDIT:
Sorry, after reading your post a little closer, I didn't want the GUI for the scanner, just the scanner. I'm using a program not made by Symantec. It's for replacing a Firefox download scanner.

Edited by maki2012, 05 January 2010 - 02:47 PM.

#4 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

Hi maki2012,

Can you clarify for me which non Symantec product you are using and what you are trying to achieve? Norton Internet Security is a full-featured, real-time security application which also contains the Norton Firewall. You should never have more than one real-time internet security application and Firewall installed, as it can cause software conflicts and also leave your system more vulnerable to threats.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks. Do I need any parameters with it?

EDIT:
Sorry, after reading your post a little closer, I didn't want the GUI for the scanner, just the scanner. I'm using a program not made by Symantec. It's for replacing a Firefox download scanner.

Edited by Michael York, 05 January 2010 - 04:04 PM.

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#5 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

I am using Norton Internet Security 2010 and am trying to enable the automatic virus scanner option on Firefox and BitComet 1.17. This option enables an automatic virus scan on completion of a downloaded file. The program needs you to supply the definitions and executable virus scanner.

Posted Image

#6 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

Hi maki2012,

As long as the real-time scanning engine (Auto-Protect) is turned "On" in Norton Internet Security 2010, which is the default setting, any files that are downloaded to your computer will be scanned automatically as they are being downloaded. You do not need to configure any settings within the browser for this to happen.

Thanks,
Mike

I am using Norton Internet Security 2010 and am trying to enable the automatic virus scanner option on Firefox and BitComet 1.17. This option enables an automatic virus scan on completion of a downloaded file. The program needs you to supply the definitions and executable virus scanner.

Posted Image

Edited by Michael York, 05 January 2010 - 05:54 PM.

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#7 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

I've noticed that for all executable files downloaded with Firefox. Is there a setting I can change to enable NIS to scan all new files?

#8 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

I've noticed that for all executable files downloaded with Firefox. Is there a setting I can change to enable NIS to scan all new files?

Hi maki2012,

As long as the "Auto-Protect" and "Browser Protection" features are enabled, which is the default setting upon installation, Norton Internet Security will proactively block new or unknown threats before they can infect your computer.

Thanks,

Mike
Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

@ Michael York,

Not to be nit picky but the statement you make makes me wonder. "will proactively block new or unknown threats " I understand newly identified and being added to the definitions files. Hence the need to keep updated. That makes perfect sense. But an unknown, the word itself means it is unidentifiable. How is it possible to protect from that, that is unknown?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

Hi Animal,

I apologize that I did not fully clarify my statement about how the various technologies in newer Norton products protect against unknown threats. First, the 2009-2010 versions of Norton products contain a feature called "Pulse Updates" which automatically checks for and installs signature files for known threats every 5-15 minutes in the background.

SONAR technology adds another layer of protection by using heuristics technology along with our online intelligence network to check for known characteristics of potential threats and then decides weather they could be malicious. If SONAR determines that a file may be malicious, it will then alert the user and either quarantine or remove the file.

Thank you,
Mike

@ Michael York,

Not to be nit picky but the statement you make makes me wonder. "will proactively block new or unknown threats " I understand newly identified and being added to the definitions files. Hence the need to keep updated. That makes perfect sense. But an unknown, the word itself means it is unidentifiable. How is it possible to protect from that, that is unknown?

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

That is most helpful Mike. Very much appreciate the clarification. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users