Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google, other search engines redirecting links

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gchum

gchum

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

Hi, I think my dad's laptop has the same problem that many other people have. When in IE7, I click on a link in the search results of Google, Yahoo, or Bing, it redirects to another site, like questbooster. At first, Yahoo seemed to be immune, but now it also redirects. Also, at first, I thought I could get around this by opening in a new tab, but now that redirects too.

The OS is Win XP Home SP3. He only uses IE7, not Firefox.

I used both Ad Aware and Malwarebytes (giving the program a more descriptive name when saving to a "Downloads" folder, but not "zztop" or whatever was suggested to others here), and both found and removed some things, but it didn't fix the search results problem. I can post the Malwarebytes log, if you like.

One small problem is that I'm leaving home tomorrow, so I will be away from my dad's computer. Therefore, I'd certainly like to fix this problem in one evening, if possible. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users