Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I formatted my computer and now my speakers dont work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 picaguy

picaguy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:32 PM

I just recently formatted my computer, everyhting is fine but now i have a problem with audio, my speakers are hooked up properly but when i put anything on no sound comes. I tried going control panel and went to the audio settings but everything is disabled. Also befoer i format the computer my speakers were working fine and now i cant find a solution. I tried going to the labtec website to look for drivers and website had nothing for speakers. So please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:48 PM

Go to your device manager (start/settings/comtrol panel/system/hardware/device manager) and click the + to the left of "sound, video and game controllers".

Do you see any red or yellow warning marks in anything in there?

If you do, right click on the device, choose "properties", then click "driver", then "Update driver".

If that doesn't solve the problem try the troubleshooter on the page before.

#3 picaguy

picaguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:41 PM

Ok well I did see the yell quesiton marks, then tried updating the multimedia audio controller, but when I tried updating it says cannot install this hardware. There also a question mark on the usb drive and also tried updating that, but it also says cannot instal this hardware. BTW there alll yellow question marks on other devices section.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:59 PM

Try the troubleshooters built in to the device manager.

Lots of yellow question marks in various places means you have defects all over your system (at least everywhere you have one).

Had you changed many hardware items since you got the system?

What did you use to reformat?

#5 picaguy

picaguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:41 PM

I didnt change and hardrives, but I did format this computer with my other computer windows xp prof cd because the xp cd for this is lost.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:17 PM

The particular Win XP disc you used shouldn't matter as long as you had the correct key number, they were both Win XP Pro, and Microsoft accepted it at validation.

Did you do all the updates and hotfixes?

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 August 2005 - 06:18 PM.

#7 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:56 PM

It sounds like the drivers to me. Uninstall your sound card drivers and install them again.

#8 picaguy

picaguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:18 PM

The operating system for this computer was xp home and now it is xp prof.I did accept my validation. That is all okay and if i unistall the drivers how will I reinstall them , I have no cd for my speakers or anything like that

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:41 PM

If you do the Windows Updates you may get the drivers there. After the scan is finished look at the left side for Drivers.

Failing that, download and run EVEREST Home Edition. Let us know what your motherboard make and model is and we'll find the drivers you need.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:40 AM

There is no drivers for "speakers" but there is for the audio devices you will find in your device manager.

Did you do a clean install of XP Pro including reformatting the hard drive? or did you use an upgrade disc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users