Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network routinely disconnecting?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

Hi all :flowers:
I have a D-Link WBR-2310 wireless router. My desktop has a wired connection to the router, my Xbox 360 has a wireless connection, my iPod touch has a wireless connection, and my brother's laptop also has a wireless connection.

For as long as I can remember (besides the first few months we got the router), the wireless will randomly just stop working. My computer will connect fine, as it is a wired connection, but none of the wireless devices will be able to find the network. The only way I can fix it is by unplugging the router from the power, and plugging it back up. We had another D-Link router before this one (can't remember the model) and had the same issues. I'm curious as to whether it is a D-Link problem or something that can be solved.

Some extra information: The loss of wireless will almost always happen when I am 1) downloading videos from my iPod or 2) when I am using my iPod for the internet at all while playing Xbox Live. But it still will just sometimes randomly turn off.

I hope you guys can sort me out :thumbsup:

Edited by xblindx, 04 January 2010 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

Are you using DSl? Sometimes the maximum MTU needs to be set different from the default for DSL so double check your manual. That can cause your router to hang like that.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

I figured it out :thumbsup: It turns out the router isn't very good quality and the recommended fix on the net is to flash it with a different firmware, which I did and it seems to work normally again :flowers:

#4 lainey58

lainey58

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:37 AM

I figured it out :thumbsup: It turns out the router isn't very good quality and the recommended fix on the net is to flash it with a different firmware, which I did and it seems to work normally again :flowers:

I think I have the same router, and I have the same problem - it is always hanging up and I have to unplug both the router and the modem to get it working again. It is really really annoying. My hubby is freaking out about it and wants me to buy a new one. I don't think a new one will fix the problem....

How do you "flash it with a different firmware"??? Can you give me some instructions on this as I'd like to try it.

Thanks.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:53 AM

Go to the manufacturers website and download the latest firmware for your model router. The rest is in the manual for the router. If youdon't have that download it as well.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users