Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry File Failure- CANNOT proceed past that point

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 slowblinker

slowblinker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

Hey all,
My daughter in CA sent me her Dell Inspiron B120 (running XP Home I believe) with the C0000218 (Registry File Failure) message coming up at start-up. I had gone into this forum before and tried the steps outlined in this post: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm but was unsuccessful. Whether I start it in safe mode, normal mode, with the Win XP Home Reinstallation CD (SP1) in or out, it still goes to the blue error screen.
Pressing "R" from the second the computer booted up never brought me to the Recovery Console screen so I was also unable to try that fix.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I looked through various posts but none of them seemed to be as bad off as me.

Thank you.

Jack

EDIT: I pressed F12 at boot-up and was given an option of running various Diagnostic tests. I ran an extended test which passed in all fields except for 2 Read Tests which had errors that stated: "Uncorrectable Error on media is write protected. followed by 0F00:0244 and 0F00:1A44. It tried to read a bunch of block but failed. Not sure if this helps any.

Edited by slowblinker, 04 January 2010 - 02:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slowblinker

slowblinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

BTT Anyone?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:57 PM

Which diagnostic test were you running when it gave you the error messages?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users