Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Office 2007 pack

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

Okay, here's my situation:

My mom has a genuine copy of Microsoft Office Student and Home 2007 (includes Word, PowerPoint, and Excel). When I previously had Vista on my laptop, I installed Office onto it (needed it for school). Partitioned off and used Windows 7 RC1, and loved it. Went to Windows 7 RTM (available from my college's MSDN AA) and got rid of the Vista. I then installed Office onto the Windows 7 os. Later, my mom got a new laptop and it came with a 60-day trial of Office. I'm pretty sure she activated the full version using her product key, but I'm not positive.

Here's the problem:

I'm going to get a netbook when I get back to school (needed for carrying around all day instead of my heavy laptop). I need to put Office on it as well. Also, I was going to do a clean install of Windows 7 on my current laptop to resolve some unimportant bugs and just have a generally cleaner system. However, looking through the EULA of Office revealed this:

1. OVERVIEW. These license terms permit installation and use of a copy of the software on three devices, along with other rights, all as described below.
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to a device. That device is a "licensed device". A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

I was hoping "3 PC license" meant 3 sets of hardware (i.e. three separate computers). If that were the case, I would be able to do the clean install of Win7 on my laptop, reinstall Office, put Windows 7 on my netbook, and install Office on it (using the last product key). But when it says "A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.", I'm thinking that all the licenses are used up. :thumbsup:

Is this true? I was hoping I wouldn't have to shell out the $100 for a new copy of Office (and 3 more licenses), but that might be the case after all.

To be clear, the software has been installed 3 times. Two of those times were on the same computer, but with different operating systems (Vista and 7).

NOTE: I'm not looking for an illegal method of circumventing the security features built into the software. I'm only asking if I can install the software any more (have I used all the licenses?).

I don't want to do a clean install only to realize that I can't install Office without paying another $100. I'd like to know before-hand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :flowers:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 04 January 2010 - 12:55 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users