Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enountered problems getting rid of "internet security 2010"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 marco2112

marco2112

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Hello all, and thank you all for reading.

My OS is win XP on a 2005 Dell inspiron 1150 laptop.

Late yesterday I became infected with "internet security 2010" fake spyware detector.

I followed the removal instructions here on Bleeping Computer. I did everythig as described.

(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-internet-security-2010#keys)

I ran rkill a few times until it seemed to have killed the process.

I downloaded MalwareBytes exactly as instructed. I encountered the first problem here.

MB would only open for a few seconds then dissapear. I tried to reinstall it as instructed a few more times, but it would still dissapear in @ 5 secs.

At the bottom of the Bleeping Computer, 'IS2010' Removal instuctions page it listed all the possible entries of this junk...so I just went ahead, found them all and carefully deleted them:

Associated Internet Security 2010 Files:

c:\s <<except this one I didnt find
c:\Program Files\InternetSecurity2010
c:\Program Files\InternetSecurity2010\IS2010.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\41.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\winhelper86.dll
c:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon86.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\winupdate86.exe
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Internet Security 2010.lnk
%UserProfile%\Desktop\Internet Security 2010.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Internet Security 2010.lnk

Associated Internet Security 2010 Windows Registry Information:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IS2010
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Internet Security 2010"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "winupdate86.exe"

I then did a restart

After almost loading my desktop normally, I get a windows 'Welcome' screen..

(Oddly, the standard shutdown sound goes on)

On this welcome screen, the word 'welcome' is on the left with a slim divider line running vertically in the center of the screen, a normal icon to log into my user account is on the right of dividerline. (it says my name and how many unread emails I have)
I've never seen the page setup like this before.

If I click to log in, it logs me off right away, keeping me right on this welcome screen.

I tried ctrl-alt-del and got to another log in box, in a black background, this one asking for my passoword but still the same result.

Can anyone help get my pc back to normal?

Sorry if I've left out any important information, ask away..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marco2112

marco2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

In doing some research it appears that I must have lost the "Userinit.exe"
file.

There's instructions on how to get it back but they all involve the CD rom drive...my CDrom does not work. If it did, I only have the restore CD that came with my comp.

Can I add the file from a flash drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users