Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

shakiz26 / Split Topic

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shakiz26

shakiz26

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

See this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

You must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.

How can this be done, when it won't boot from the cd or the options can be changed so that the computer boots with cd?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

Most Dell computers will boot from a CD if you hit F12 when the Dell logo appears during boot. This takes you to a boot menu where you can choose the boot device.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 shakiz26

shakiz26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

Most Dell computers will boot from a CD if you hit F12 when the Dell logo appears during boot. This takes you to a boot menu where you can choose the boot device.

windows xp home edition, shows the f8 option as the boot menu but when pushed or held down it won't go to it ? any ideas how to make the cd work ?

#4 shakiz26

shakiz26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

O.k so i've tried to start the computer most of all day yesterday, started it normally it goes past the windows logo and then after that it's a blank screen with the mouse on it that can be moved around that's all, left that for about an hour and still stays that way.
Start it in safe mode it goes all the way to starting up loading..... and stays there does nothing else.
Tried to use the windows cd but the computer doesn't give the option to boot from cd, and when choosing the boot option (it says f8) i push and hold the button nothing happens the only button that does work is f5 which give safe mode and other options which also do not work at all.
(google searches) i've unplugged everthing inside the computer for a bit and reconnected it all.
It showed the error on a blue screen "registry file failure" but doesn't do that anymore.
The computer started a few days ago fine just has always showed a blue screen but now it just won't start up at all
Plz help.
P.s it's not my computer it's my nephews i'm just trying to help him out.
If u need more info on anything please let me know.
Thanks.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

What is the make and model number of the computer?

Also, see this for info on booting from a CD:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...orderchange.htm
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 shakiz26

shakiz26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

What is the make and model number of the computer?

Also, see this for info on booting from a CD:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...orderchange.htm

The only stickers that are on there says "s/no 022498090" and a little logo on the front under the power button says "AMD Athlon processor"

That site was of little help to me, i did more search on which button i should be pushing but still nothing happens.

Does having a boot disk (floppy) make any difference ?, just found one and used it but nothing seems to happen.

Edited by shakiz26, 04 January 2010 - 06:37 PM.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

When you first start your computer do you get a message which says something along the lines of "Press DEL to enter Setup"?

The message may only appear on the screen briefly.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 shakiz26

shakiz26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

it comes up with asrock logo at the bottom it has f2 setup f8 boot f12 network boot.
another screen appears and has 30 secs which says at the bottom for troubleshooting and advanced startup options for windows press f8

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

Try pressing F2 and see if that takes you into the BIOS. If so you should be able to change the boot order to boot from a CD.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 shakiz26

shakiz26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:55 PM

boot failure from previous device shows up quickly, does that means i can't get into bios at all?

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:07 PM

What happens if you press F8 instead of F2?

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 shakiz26

shakiz26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

ok first off sorry to have wasted your time...
Issue was the buttons on that keyboard are broken, after i thought it be a good idea to change keyboards it works.
So i have got into the menu and changed it to make the cd work .
So i'm off to do the install cd..
Sorry and thanks heaps budapest for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users