Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Virus Pro and Automatically rebooting trying to get to Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 philmeup007

philmeup007

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

I am running Windows XP Pro - SP3, Norton Anti Virus and got infected with Anti Virus Pro (through Charter.com email I think). Obviously it stops me from connnecting to the internet, running scans, installing other Malware Removal software. Additionally, when I try to boot to any of the Safe Modes, it reboots before it finishes listing the programs loading; specifically it reboots at MUP.SYS, the last item in the Safe Mode posting screen. At this point, I set the Hard Drive up as a Slave and put it into my other computer running Charter's brand of Anti-Virus. I did this hoping that scanning it as a different drive would allow me to remove the virus. It took several hours of scanning 1 million files, it found 47 virus', 1 malware, cleared some of them. I can attach the Norton Log if you like. I have not tried the Slave drive back in the original PC because I wanted to post here first and I see that there are very good instructions on here (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-system-pro) for removing this problem. I do not think it has the problem solved because the LDVX.EXE is still on the root of the C drive of the Slave and it won't let me delete it. I have downloaded Combofix and Malware Bytes but have not used the Malware Bytes yet. Where should I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users