Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection type

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Hello everyone. I want to ask a question about the internet service provider's connection type. I use RCS&RDS as the internet service provider. I have the fiberlink 2 internet connection option. My question is this: What type of internet connection is this? I mean, is it DSL(digital subscriber line) or fiber optics? I am connecting with PPPoE(it stands for point-to-protocol over ethernet, to understand what I am talking about), I think it's fiber optics, but I am in doubt, because after a research that I made, I found out that PPPoE is mainly used with DSL. But I don't have any device to connect to the internet. Clicknet uses DSL and I went to a friend's house that has Clicknet and I saw the device that he uses to connect to the internet. I connect only with a ethernet cable(the ethernet cable is plugged into the network board). But what I found out is that when my telephone doesn't work, so does the internet. When I try to connect with PPPoE it gives me an error code when my telephone doesn't work. I also see when I create the internet connection, it says "Broadband" and underneath it says "Connect using a dsl or cable that requires a user name and password and then I enter my username and password to connect to it. I know I should ask my ISP, but I already done so and still, I am in doubt. All I know it's PPPoE. The fact that I called you, is because I am using TuneUp Utilities 2010 and I want to know what settings should I choose when I create a profile when It asks me "How is your computer usually connected to the internet?" I don't know what to choose. I am using a dial-up connection with pppoe. Maybe I have some sort of a dsl device outside my house. I don't know. Can you tell me? Thank you so much. I really appreciate it if you could help:)! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

You have Fiber DSL. Most phone companies use fiber optic cable for their backbone, the main trunk lines, so info is sent in large quantities at super high speeds. They then use copper wire to connect that to homes, because its cheaper. But in some places they just switch to a smaller fiber cable and run that directly to a customers home.

Somewhere in or on your home they should have come and installed a large box(like the one near the bottom of this page. This is where it makes the switch from fiber to copper.

So you have DSL, don't get caught up in how the signal gets from your place to the internet, just be happy it does lol.

I wouldn't use that sort of program. Anything it can do you can too, without having that bloated thing running on your PC. But that is just my opinion =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

Okay, thank you very much. You really helped me out. Wow! Fiber DSL! I could not believe it! Now I know and I thank you for this information. I know that I can do manually, but as I don't want to waste my time and as it is easier to let the program do itself, that's why I decided to let it do it. But, as you know TuneUp Utilities is not for optimizing the internet. It is a maintenance and optimization tool. So, I will choose "DSL, TV cable or power line", but as for the speed it is "From ....". What speed should I choose there? I know the maximum bandwidth which is 100Mbit, but I don't know the minimum speed, because From x Mbit means the minimum speed. Tell me if I understood correctly. Thank you again and have a good time:)

#4 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:05 AM

P. S. Sorry for my bad english!

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

Your English is fine =)

Well 100 Mbit/s is the LAN speed. The speed you're looking for would come from your ISP. Like here I have cable, my speeds are 10 - 15 Mbit/s sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

Try a speed test site, I don't know of any in Romania but you can search for one =)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Use this site to test your connection speed.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:42 AM

Hello again. Thank you for your responses. I always test my speed on speedtest. I know it is a very good site for accurate speed. You can test wherever in the world. But my question is this: What server should I choose? Because I tested to a lot of them. And, in England, Germany and almost any State in North America has high speed. I mean the slowest download speed on a good server in America is about 200KB/s(this is kilobytes/second not kilobits/second), but most of them are at about 500KB/s. In London, many times I get higher speeds than Bucharest. How is that possible? Is it because London is a very good server? I've testet a lot of times and many times I got higher speeds than Bucharest. And in Germany too but not high as I get in London. I've also tested to other servers in England and also got high speed, but not much higher than Bucharest, it was a little higher, but in London many times I got 8MB/s. Ok, so which speed shall I choose and what more can I do? Thank you again for giving me a piece of advice. HAPPY NEW YEAR AGAIN!

#8 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:54 AM

P. S. I would like to mention that it is not my LAN speed only. My ISP says maximum bandwidth in my city is 100Mbit/s and maximum bandwidth on the internet 100Mbit/s. That means 11.9 MB/s(megabytes/second). And I can prove that this is true since in Bucharest I got about 94 Mbps(megabits/second) which means about 11MB/s(megabytes/second). And one more thing. Can you tell me what server uses Earthlink as the ISP(internet service provider)? Thank you very much.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

The speed of the Internet is alot faster than 11 megabytes.

Test your speed with the same server location and use that speed. Whatever it is you get to that server will be your base line.

Speeds differ for so many reasons it would be hard to list them all but mainly it comes down to time of day and number of people.

I have no idea what Earthlink uses.

#10 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

Hello again. Sorry for the misunderstood. I don't want to know what Earthlink uses. I just want to know what server in america is hosted by Earthlink? Thank you for your responses and happy new year everyone:)!

#11 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

No idea what I was talking about there "What server is hosted by EarthLink?" I actually meant which Washington D.C. Server on the speedtest.net site was hosted by EarthLink?
But, anyway, I don't really care about the server because the location, time of day and number of people matter, as a user said in this topic.
Mark this as solved, please, because right now I gathered enough knowledge of what type of internet connection I have. It's simply just like that, here, in Romania it is quite different from where most users are here in this forum. It is a PPPoE connection with ultra-high speeds of up to 100 Mb/s based on fiber(but, actually is not different from LAN connections Just that it uses a software(PPPoE) to connect to the internet for added security; it is not permanently connected to the internet and it is limited to a MTU of 1480.
And I am big enough to know that software similar to TuneUp Utilities, the so called system utilities are nothing but bloatware and unnecessary and the biggest problem of them all is that they can give a lot of problems than even before a user has done the optimization things that this software recommended him to do.
The only utilities that I use to clean my computer and optimize it right now are CCleaner and SlimCleaner from SlimWare Utilities. These utilities are really helpful and don't cause any kind of problems. Of course, if you know how to use them, because anybody can damage an OS, if they are not educated and careful.
I use this combination because I find both of these tools useful. What one doesn't find, the other will pick it up. Thank you for your time and have a happy and healthy life everyone!

Best regards,
Robert Andrei Botezat

Edited by Andrei Robert, 20 November 2012 - 06:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users