Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me plz

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:39 AM

I don't want to build anything too complex. It doesn't need an automatic transmission or air conditioning. I understand that most of you engineers have a few years of experience and education behind you, but, can you point me in the way of some quick tutorials? It has to be street legal and safe. I know nothing about cars or engineering. I've got a month to build it.

I got a steering wheel from a junker so I figure that I am halfway there already.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:18 AM

You want to build a car.........................lol. I don't think you would be allowed to drive it. Maybe build a RC car. At least then when your driving it it wont fall apart lol.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for posting that, I got a kick out of some of those answers

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:31 AM

Well, an automatic transmission would probably be easier to fit than a manual with it's clutch and linkages...

The last time I looked into this was back in the 70s, and I wound up putting the money into rebuilding an old Chevy. And that was back before air bags, articulated steering columns, etc. Back then, at least, some safety equipment and other regulations could be waived for a limited production vehicle, but you'd best check with your Motor Vehicle Department if you might want to put it on the road -- and think seriously about whether you want to risk driving without that safety equipment. (Air bags have come in real handy for me!)

If you're still interested, the first step might be to Google "kit car" and see if anything looks good.

And, seriously, good luck! :thumbsup:

Edited by Capn Easy, 04 January 2010 - 06:33 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:50 AM

Heh heh!

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

A whole lot more trips to the boneyard
I just love engineers :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

actually you can build your own care if you want to and drive it. they sell kit cars that have all the parts you just follow the directions (like a lego set) or you can start from the ground up. either way would be expensive. I would think though best way to get started is a pen and paper-decide what you want it to do, then start shopping around for the parts. if your good and metal work and welding or know someone who is you can custom make a frame otherwise pirate one off a junker, then pick your axles, engine, etc. etc.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

I'd like you to build me a car. I'm sure it's very easy (you just need to put together some junk, how hard can that be?), so I give you one hour. If you don't have completed it by then I'll tell everyone you suck at engineering.

I want my car to have four wheels, or "steering wheels" as you techies call them. Maybe three. It may not consume more than 10 windshields. That's important, my 3 year old cousin who knows more about cars than you do says so. I already have a pile of wood and I insist you use that as your only material.

When you actually manage to meet these goals I'll get angry, say that I wanted a motorcycle and show you a picture of an umbrella.

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

I assume this is some project or contest, so depending on the rules theres a few "quick and dirty" ways of doing it....

If you can use an existing frame:

-Find a scrapped Ford PINTO!!!!! (or Mustang II, same frame). These frames will handle all kinds of abuse and are very pliable (you can put a lot of kit bodies on Pinto or Nova II frames)
- Use a rack and pinion from an Mid 80's mustang (will fit frame with little issue, Power steering already built in just supply pump and hoses)
- Ididit Universal steering column
- Depending on purpose of vehicle you may get by with a chevy 10 bolt rear end from a late 70's Camero (street) or go find an 8.8 or 9" ford rear end from a mid 80's mustang (strip use) (both fit frame well)
- Ford 302 with automatic tranny (believe it or not these are easier than manuals to work with)
- Use 2" round tube to build a body shape and cover with sheet metal

The other method requires more space to write than I want to use..... ( though street legal is very iffy, it works well in the mud pits)

Check out the Fun Buggy Build at Peterson's 4x4 and Offroad (also check out over "project vechiles at that magizine)
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/projectbuild/...uild/index.html
Entire build took 4 years and covers many articles (how to's on almost every stage) Also check out the Tech section

Let me know if you need anything

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users