Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem creating new user account

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rugby Fan

Rugby Fan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:31 AM

I have a laptop which uses Windows XP professional service pack 3. I am trying to stop my children having full access to download whatever they want which causes the computer to slow down. I wanted to create a limited user account for them and this worked a dream on my desktop which has Windows XP home edition. However when I try and do it on my laptop I am faced with problems! The user account showing is 'Administrator' and I cannot change the name for this. When I try to create a new user account it says that at least one person must be the administrator and will not allow me to make the new account limited. If I do designate the new account as a 'administrator' then I lose the original administrator account including all the files. I managed to get these back by doing a system restore.
What I do not understand is why when I try and set up a new account it doesn't recognise the Administarors account as the computer administator and allow me to create a new limited account.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:20 AM

Try booting into safe mode, login to Administrator account and try out again.

#3 Rugby Fan

Rugby Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

Thank you for responding Nikas.

There is no difference to the options in safe mode. Just to be sure I'll explain what I did:-
I entered user accounts and under the 'pick an account to change' I selected the administrator. The only options open to me are to create a password, change my picture and to change my .NET passport. There is no option to change the name as in XP home. I then selected 'Create a new account' which was to be the account my kids can use with limited access. I selected the name for the new account and selected Next. I then get the message that I must create at least one computer administrator before I can create other accounts. The limited option is greyed out.
I tried to do the same as I did yesterday in safe mode and again I have lost the initial administrator account and all the programs and files associated with it (it has now been properly restored.)
It seems to be that as soon as I try and create another computer administrator the original one disappears making it impossible to retrieve my old files.
Any other ideas?!

#4 Rugby Fan

Rugby Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

Nikas,

I have found the way! For future queries, what I did was to:-
Open computer management
In the console tree click users
Right click the user account and then select rename.
Type in the new name and press enter.

Once I did this I was able to set up my kids account and the limited option was not greyed out.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users