Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regularly disconnecting from the internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mogget

mogget

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:05 AM

Hey Guys!
I am a keen online gamer, and 75% to 80% of my computer time is spent in these realms of imagination. The rest is devoted to internet browsing and emailing.

In the past I experienced occasional dc's, perhaps 1 or 2 a week, and it was a simple matter of logging back in. However, recently I have become increasingly frustrated by upwards of 5 or 6 dc's each hour. and now, the dc's seem to be associated with a partial shut down of my ADSL modem. It now takes a couple of minutes to reset the modem, wait for it to initialise, and then log back on again.

I suspect some sort of malware has found its way onto my computer, in spite of having Norton 360 running. Manual in depth virus scans as well as the automated ones have not reported anything other than the usual collection of cookies, and the need to delete .tmp files.

However, I have had a flurry of automated emails from my gaming server provider, suggestiong that I have been recently changing my login details. On trying to log in, I found that the login details were "not correct for the account" and that my account has been locked out pending investigation. I have petitioned to have my account restored, but while I wait for this I want to make sure that my computer is squeeky clean.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

hi,,, download these malware scanners,,,, use both free versions,,,, update the virus definitions before a full scan,,, use 1 at a time,,,
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
blue tab for free version ,,, and how to use it below,,,
http://www.udel.edu/topics/spyware/malwarebytes.html
then download this (free version as well)
http://www.superantispyware.com/
follow removal prompts if anything is found,,,, if the pc still shows signs of infection then post in the "am i infected" forum in security section.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users