Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worm.Win32.Netsky detected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 .alex

.alex

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:02 AM

Here is what happens:

I turn on the computer (my brothers) everything is fine- shows Welcome screen. Before anything (icons or desktop) shows a pop-up appears that says the following:

Spyware Alert - Security Warning - Worm.Win32.Netsky detected on your machine. This virus is distributed via the internet through email and active-x objects. The worm has its own SMTP engine which means it gathers emails from local computer and redistributes itself. In worst cases the worm can allow attaches to access your computer, stealing passwords, and personal data. Viruses can damage your confidential data and work on your computer. Continue working in unprotected mod is very dangerous.

Type: Virus
System Affected: Windows 2000, NT, ME, XP, VISTA, 7
security risk: 5
recommendations: It is necessary to perform full system scan.

Only after i click "ok" or close the popup will the desktop, icons, and programs load.

As the programs are loading during startup - Window Security Center Opens, also some AntivirusLive performing some sort of "scan"

I was going to try to start this method:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...3&hl=netsky

I downloaded the programs on my computer (this one) saved the programs on a flash drive, then moved them to the infected computers desktop but when i tried to open the ATF Cleaner a pop-up says:

Application cannot be executed. The file atf_cleaner.exe is infected. Do you want to activate the antivirus software now?

Started it on safe mode to try to do a scan but the same result.

The infected computer has Windows XP
(i do not have the OS disk)

Thanks for any help, any other questions just ask.

edit:

also tried downloading and running the DDS tool program but gave me the same "The file xxx is infected. Do you want to activate the antivirus software now?" screen

Edited by .alex, 04 January 2010 - 12:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .alex

.alex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

well im still here if anyone is interested in helping...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users