Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Engine Redirect and Safe Mode Hangup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 coreygk

coreygk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

Hello all,

I've unfortunately encountered a redirect/hijack program that I can't seem to get rid of. In the past I've been able to take care of any problems with a boot into Safe Mode and the use of MBAM (with helpful insight from this and other forums). However, when I try to boot into safe mode, it stops at the mup.sys driver and I get a BSOD with only a dash and a question mark before the computer restarts (it looks like a hyphen with a curved end followed immediately by a question mark).

I'll try to give as much useful information as possible:

Initially a bogus antivirus program downloaded itself and changed my desktop background to an alert (green backround with a black box in the middle saying I was infected). The program also placed an icon in the taskbar (red circle with an "X") and would send constant popup warnings. I've encountered similar programs before and have had success removing them with MBAM, so I didn't pay it much attention. I scanned my system and removed infections, but the problems continued. I was able to change my Desktop background image back, but I noticed that the "Folder Options" folder was missing from the Control Panel (just a empty space between the two adjacent folders) and that system restore was disabled. Also, the System Restore Tab was completely removed from System Properties. I was able to get the System Restore enabled after another scan, but all my restore points have seemingly been lost.

Now, any web searches I do are slow (as well as jerky cursor movement) and any link I click on redirects me to some random site, usually asking me to take a survey. Most of the time, the icon in the tab on my browser (Firefox 3) looks like a number 2. I ran MBAM and it found several infections which it removed, and a subsequent search found a few more. The last time MBAM found any infections, when it tried to restart and complete the removal on reboot, is from and I got an error window saying that MBAM had to close unexpectedly. My last few scans with MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware have revealed no infections but my web browsing is still being redirected.

Also, not sure if it's useful, but some of the icons on my desktop look a little funny, and have a black outline that looks slightly jagged, like you traced the outline in a Paint or a similar drawing application. Hmmm.

I'd also like to point out that I already have a few anti-virus and malware removal programs on my computer, but have noticed people suggesting to download and rename programs (I guess to avoid detection). If this is the case, and I should install fresh versions, please let me know.

I appreciate any help that would be available. Thanks.

-Corey
Lenovo T61
Windows XP Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users