Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to fix Win7 incompatibility with Network Printer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wfbauction

wfbauction

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

My local network printer is a HP Business Ink Jet 1200DN and it is currently serving 4 computers. I just added a Windows 7 computer to the network, but found the original HP Startup CD will not load the network printer driver under Windows 7. When the the Starter CD is opened and the "install driver" button is hit, a message appears stating that the software requires Internet Explorer (IE) 5 or greater. (My Windows 7 package has IE8 installed, so this error message is bogus.) It is noted that the Starter CD disk loads the printer network drivers OK on computers running Windows XP.

I checked out the HP Windows 7 printer support web page for the 1200DN printer and found that they provide one (1) download driver, which is strictly for the 1200 printer to PC connection using the USB cable. So this download is of no use for installations where the HP 1200 printer is used in network configurations.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanrB

DanrB

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

Have you tried using the compatibility manager to install the drivers?

Do not allow the auto run to begin, if it does cancel it. Instead right click on the printers .exe file (setup file) and then click on "Troubleshoot compatibility", a window will open. After the scan tick the box for "troubleshoot program" then tic the box for "The program worked in earlier versions of windows but won't install or work now"

Now pick the version of windows you've used with the printer and it worked fine, if it was Vista sp2 then pick that, if XP sp3 then pick it etc etc.

Then click "Start the program", move the trouble shooter window to one side of the screen, the program tends to open under it out of view making it look like nothing happen, or check the taskbar either one.

Once installed and is working click "next" in the troubleshooter window, select "yes save these setting for this program".

Once done if the error window opens, click "this program installed correctly" and close it.

If the program fails to install or the printer fails to work right once installed do the same thing again but pick a different version of windows to install it as. You may have to try two or three, more? until you hit on the one that works for your printer but one should work.
You might have to uninstall the program before trying again with a different version of windows.

Then keep checking the manufactures web site for updated drivers, naturally if its a fairly old printer they may never offer win 7 drivers for it.

Keep in mind even at that there is a chance the printer will not work right with win 7 but doing as I suggest here should give you the best shot at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users