Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disconnect networking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 judybooty2010

judybooty2010

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:14 PM

HI, I'm new and not really computer literate so please try and help me. I just purchased a new computer because people on the network, that I didn't want, had completely taken over my computer. They even changed me over from DSL to dial up. This has been done to me about 6 times now and I am tired of it. I am the only one that uses this computer.They have changed my IP address too. I could go on and on but I won't. I don't know if you would believe me or not but this is all true. Please tell me how I can made my computer PRIVATE. Thank you, Judybooty2010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

You have to be more specific as to your problem, before someone can help you.What people ,and what kind of network are you on? Also the make and model of the computer your using,would be very helpful. Our members are very good at solving problems, but they need details first. Cheers

Edited by sleepwalker, 04 January 2010 - 01:16 AM.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:03 AM

I can't really think of any way possible that anyone could change your system from DSL to dial-up, and it wouldn't make any sense to do so. I have to assume that something else is happening. As far as your IP address, unless you pay for a static IP address, it is going to change from time to time. That is not at all indicative of malicious activity.

What behavior from your computer explicitly makes you think that someone has taken over your computer?

#4 judybooty2010

judybooty2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:07 AM

I don't know how they did it. My computer is a DELL INSPIRON 537s. It is set up for a home network. I know that you all are much more knowledgable about computers than I am. What I know I have learned by just finding it for myself. I've been on a computer for about 6 years. I am still learning. For the first 5 years I had my internet service thru a phone service. Now I have it thru local cable service. All I know is that I would try to get on the internet but couldn't. And yes my dsl was changed to dial up. It even flipped the tv man out. I did not do it. There is no one else in my home but my husband and me and he doesn't even know how to turn it on. I went back to factory recovery and put everything back to when I purchased it. I told the man on the phone when he sold it to me that I did not want one that had a network. I just wanted a private or personel computer. That went thru one ear and back out of the other. So I was supposed to make sure to save my files, so I went thru them and hardly any were mine. There were files about people, homes for sale, family files, and work related files. None of that was done by me. There were thousands of files. I got tired and didn't save anything. The other night I was on Napster and I was taken off because someone else was in control. Tell me how if I am administrator and I go to a file a small screen pops up and tells me I am not authorized to open the file, or I don't have permission to open it. If I don't, then who does? See I don't understand. I don't want anyone using the internet that I am paying for but don't get to use much. I am not selfish either. I am 57 and just too old to be so aggrivated. The first day that I received the computer I hooked it up and it was like immediately someone else was already making files with my name plus a \ and using my name again but leaving spaces or changing it with a number or a different letter. When it asked did I want it to be home work or public I chose work. There are files made with users\public\judybooty2010. Is that supposed to be right? Maybe I am just too old or need to take a class at the college or something. If you can help I do appreciate it. Thanks judybooty2010

#5 Bolsterplate

Bolsterplate

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

You may want to forgo fixing this yourself and have a local computer technician visit your house. An on-site technician will be able to get you all fixed up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users