Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD from HDD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Svorax

Svorax

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

I'm almost positive the issue is caused from the trial of Kaspersky I installed a few days ago. The Dell Self Monitering System or whatever it's called claimed an exceeded parameter a few times but I though this was from a failing HDD from my laptop I hooked up to backup before I lost all of my data. Apparantly the monitering system was talking about the local drive on the desktop. I'm running the utility partition right now, so I can't put up the technical info, but I will as soon as I can. So far on the diagnostic from the other partition, It's come up all clear -- that tells me the hdd isn't failing but rather a software problem. See, the BIOS runs just fine and it starts to load the OS, but while loading is when the BSOD hits. No specific error name, just that I should remove and anti-viruses and defrags. The only defrag on it is the obvious Windows XP defrag; I assume that doesn't count. So, my best guess is a driver from Kaspersky or a related problem. How would I go about removing something as advanced as Kaspersky when I can't even boot the OS, therefor am unable to run the uninstaller? Or is the problem possibly elsewhere? Also should be noted that I am unable to boot in Safe Mode aswell.

Thanks

EDIT: Technical Info:

0x000000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7936380, 0xF793607C, 0x86E3E805)

Edited by Svorax, 03 January 2010 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Above info from http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm...assumes that user can boot into XP.

I don't know anything about Dell diagnostics...but I would run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console and see if that has any impact.

Louis

#3 Svorax

Svorax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

Yes, the more I've researched, it is infact NTFS driver. Now the next question is how to go about fixing it. I've disabled all the services and drivers with Kaspersky's name on it in the recovery console. The NTFS driver was set to disabled and I assumed that was not right, so I set it system start up. Is that what it should be set to? And how would I go about repairing NTFS.sys? Replace it with a working copy from another XP Home PC or from the XP disk?

Thanks

Edited by Svorax, 05 January 2010 - 08:01 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

IME...it's never the driver itself that is the problem. It's the NTFS file system, which is why chkdsk /r is run (it can repair some file system situations, but not all). If the file system error is severe, chkdsk /r will be unable to complete and will indicate that the NTFS file system is borked.

I suggest that the best approach would be to move any valued data from the drive...and assume that the file system or hard drive has problems which may prevent future access of the hard drive.

<<I've disabled all the services and drivers with Kaspersky's name on it in the recovery console. The NTFS driver was set to disabled and I assumed that was not right, so I set it system start up. Is that what it should be set to?>>

I have no idea what you are talking about.

As for repairing the NTFS.sys file, http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-t...-in-windows-xp/.

The repair install effort is what I have historically been reduced to. If that doesn't work, then it's clean install time for me.

Louis

#5 Svorax

Svorax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

IME...it's never the driver itself that is the problem. It's the NTFS file system, which is why chkdsk /r is run (it can repair some file system situations, but not all). If the file system error is severe, chkdsk /r will be unable to complete and will indicate that the NTFS file system is borked.

I can understand that for sure, but I ran chkdsk and it came up with only one error and then claimed it clean. It was my understanding that if it's not the HDD, it has to be the driver, right? I can't think of any other reasons... I'm running it again and I'll tell the results.

<<I've disabled all the services and drivers with Kaspersky's name on it in the recovery console. The NTFS driver was set to disabled and I assumed that was not right, so I set it system start up. Is that what it should be set to?>>

I have no idea what you are talking about.

As in, the services to run at boot up? listsvc? I had a feeling it was the anti-virus that caused this problem since it was recently install and the stop error clearly stated to disable or uninstall any anti-viruses. That would be how to go about disabling it, right? Or am I mistaken?

Also, I tried the first method on the link you posted, and for some reason I can't find the drive letter for the disc. Nor is there an option to repair install... My version of the disc is SP2, would that be the reason?

Thanks

Edited by Svorax, 05 January 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

<<As in, the services to run at boot up? listsvc? I had a feeling it was the anti-virus that caused this problem since it was recently install and the stop error clearly stated to disable or uninstall any anti-viruses. That would be how to go about disabling it, right? Or am I mistaken?>>

To be honest...in the 9 years that I have used XP, I have only even used the listsvc command once...to see what happens :thumbsup:. I only use the RC for a few commands and I don't use it to try to do what I consider major repairs. I don't mind doing repair installs or even clean installs to overcome system situations...and the reality is that I don't have many situations that call for much beyond chkdsk /r :flowers:.

So, I've never given a moment's thought to stopping any service via the RC and I try not to guess at what the cause might be for a BSOD. Windows XP has all sorts of drivers...any of them can become damaged and cause a BSOD at any time...and I tend to take some interpretations of BSODs with a big grain of salt.

Windows doesn't play according to plan...and I'm sure that I can find plenty of 24 STOP errors that are neither AV or NTFS.sys related.

Example: Current guidance for XP does not include the following info re NTFS, but I have experienced this situation with XP (not Win 2K)http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228888&sd=RMVP. So, I try to allow for the fact that...rather than being definitive, most STOP summary guidance is non-specific and not to be interpreted word for word. That's why it's important to look for more clues via .dmp files.

Louis

#7 Svorax

Svorax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

OK, right, I see. So you think that, no matter that actual cause of the BSOD, I should reinstall/repair install/make a fresh start?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

I think that...in the absence of .dmp files...it's not likely that you will find out the cause of the BSODs.

If you can boot the system...then you can pretty much do whatever you want to do.

In the absence of ability to boot the system...I've given you my best thoughts, based on the info/data you have provided...and maybe you should await further inputs re your situation from others who may have a clue as to what should be your next step. I don't claim to know the answer :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2010 - 09:36 PM.

#9 Svorax

Svorax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

I see. Thanks for the help and suggestions to aid in my problem. I've decided to backup, format, then reinstall, and I recommend the same thing to others with this problem. Mod, please close the thread.

Edited by Svorax, 06 January 2010 - 08:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users