Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton 360 thoroughness

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mbleekb

mbleekb

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

I use Norton 360 version 2.5.0.5 for all my security needs on my computer because it says its a virus and spyware protection software. I was wondering if it's ok to just use this, or if I should use additional programs, such as spybot or adaware, etc. I believe it might be a good idea to add additional protection, but there is a point where too many different softwares could just cause more harm than good. I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation regarding if I need anything else, and if so, what programs in particular work well in addition to this program. Thanks for any advice or recommendations!

Brad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:56 AM

I would just add some on demand scanners for malware/spyware. I like the free versions of Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware for that. I also use Spybot (I do not use the teatimer function) and SpywareBlaster just to immunize my system. As long as you are just running the programs on demand and not using real time protection from them, there won't be any conflicts.

#3 bigwrench9

bigwrench9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

Good call,Stang! :thumbsup:

#4 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

Hi Brad,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The first thing I wanted to let you know is that you are using an old version of Norton 360. As long as you have a valid subscription, you should take advantage of the free update to the latest version, which is Norton 360 version 3.5.x . One of the advantages of having a subscription to a Norton product, is that you are entitled to free product updates for the life of your subscription. To update, please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below.

Norton Update Center

After the update is complete, launch Norton 360 version 3, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Check for Updates".

As far as adding other security software, just make sure that you do not install any other real-time security software, as it can cause conflicts with Norton 360 and leave your system more vulnerable to threats. You should also make sure that the Windows Firewall is disabled, as the Norton Firewall will handle this for you.

Thank you,
Mike

I use Norton 360 version 2.5.0.5 for all my security needs on my computer because it says its a virus and spyware protection software. I was wondering if it's ok to just use this, or if I should use additional programs, such as spybot or adaware, etc. I believe it might be a good idea to add additional protection, but there is a point where too many different softwares could just cause more harm than good. I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation regarding if I need anything else, and if so, what programs in particular work well in addition to this program. Thanks for any advice or recommendations!

Brad

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by modifying your HOSTS file and tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

#6 mbleekb

mbleekb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

Thank you everybody for your help! Very knowledgable group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users