Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS management

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

I'm looking to run some sort of vbscript at startup that will monitor dns requests and ip's browsed to, have a list of banned ip's/domain names stored on the server or in the vbscript then if a domain is flagged have the script send an email to a specified email address stating username, time and date and site they are on. Is this possible?

I've had a crack at installing dansguardian on our smoothwall but i don't really want to block the sites as staff are allowed on them during lunch, i had blocked them using dns but as some of the staff here are computer tech's, they knew to put the ip into the host file to get around this.

If you have another other idea's i'm open for suggestions!! At this stage i don't have the approval to buy any software to do this :thumbsup:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

You can only monitor if there is a box between the network and the router. You can also implement blocking. I did a project like this last year, and it was trivial to implement using a crap box, and I think I used Ubuntu on the intermediate box. I am assuming that your internet is not using the server as a gateway?

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:06 AM

The topology is like this:

Router in bridge mode linked to smoothwall which is handling DNS requests, smoothwall links to a switch and the DMZ (two different network cards), from the switch links our Domain and Member servers (Domain controller passes dns requests to the smoothwall) and our PC's connect to the switch. Do you have any materials left over from the project you've done?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users