Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Check Disk Utility

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dbonniwell

dbonniwell

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

I like to do what I can to keep my system running smoothly
Presently I use CCleaner and ATF to trash unwanted files.
However
The Windows Disk Clean up utility says I can increase my storage capacity by 80Gig.
I am a bit concerned about using Disk Clean up because it may get rid of something I need. I know how to use the utility but how should I proceed without screwing up my system. Can someone who know and uses this utility give me some guidance on how to best approach this? The utility does not tell you exactly what you are deleting.
I am using Vista
One of the reasons why I am doing this is because I have some pretty long boot up times. I am doing everything I can to speed things up.
Thanks
other info
Suspended/Paused File Cleaner @ 4Gig

Former Windows Installation @ 72.1 Gig (I did have XP Pro on this mother board before but I thought I wiped it clean)

Temporaly Windows Intall Files @ 3.8Gig

The others do not go over 1MB, so i do not list them unless you really want to know.

thanks for your help in advance

Edited by dbonniwell, 03 January 2010 - 07:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

There's very little, if anything, you can delete using the Disk Cleanup that will do any harm, that's what it's for, to get rid of unneeded files and stuff you no longer need. You can safely delete those you listed and probably all the others also, however you can list them if you're still apprehensive.

As for the slow boots, what do you have starting when the computer boots? Run 'msconfig', go to the Startup tab and look at what is checked. NOTHING has to start at reboot, but generally you want your security features to start (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware) since you would activate them anyway.

Post back if you are unsure about something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users