Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer.exe won't boot after logging in

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 moovguy16

moovguy16

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

Hi Everyone.

I have been patiently trying to work on this for about 6 hours straight now and finally decided to post here. I'm desperate for a permanent solution to this...When I logon to my account, my desktop background appears but nothing else. I can load task manager, however starting a new task with "explorer.exe" does not work. The ONLY way I'm able to access explorer is if I run msconfig, and then through the "tools" tab select something--then erase the address bar, type in "c:", and double click "explorer.exe". That DOES work, but needless to say I'd rather not do this every time I want to use my computer.

When using safemode, everything works normally. So far I have tried a myriad of steps which I have found in various forums including this one. I have checked the registry, assuring that winlogon, uihost, and the shell (explorer.exe) are all in order. I have tried chkdsk, run avg and malwarebyte all with no positive results for viruses or malware. I am simply stumped, and nothing else has worked. In fact, everything has basically led my in circles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I am running Home Basic verson 6 service pack II.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to give this a whirl!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 moovguy16

moovguy16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Someone has to have some ideas or suggestions? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?

#3 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

hello moovguy16 :huh:

looks like your stuck with me.LOL (really thats suppost to be funny)

in msconfig (general tab) is normal startup selected? if not...select it and see if this helps. if this helps.....try this, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

good luck and keep us posted!!
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users