Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display driver has stopped responding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 konfuzed

konfuzed

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

I have A HP pavilion with windows Vista 32 bit. The screen goes black,comes back on and a message appears that says "display driver has stopped responding and recovered. NVLddkm stopped responding and has succesfully recovered" also I have yellow or blue squiggles running across the screen. I have Installed the newest driver from NVIDEA with no success. After this happens enough times,the computer shuts down. The problem is intermittent. I have scanned for viruses and found none.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

I have A HP pavilion with windows Vista 32 bit. The screen goes black,comes back on and a message appears that says "display driver has stopped responding and recovered. NVLddkm stopped responding and has succesfully recovered" also I have yellow or blue squiggles running across the screen. I have Installed the newest driver from NVIDEA with no success. After this happens enough times,the computer shuts down. The problem is intermittent. I have scanned for viruses and found none.

Are you playing any games like Half-life 2?? I had that problem and it seems to be a problem with graphical utilization. I even did a post on how to get around that with Half-life 2. You might also see if you can't install the newest DirectX drivers. That might help. If you can replicate the problem then you know which program is causing the trouble!!

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#3 konfuzed

konfuzed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

We really dont do too much gaming. My wife plays the card games that came on the computer. I ran all the self diagnostic tests that I could and the one for the video card passed . The "desktop doctor " that my internet provider provides has red flagged my operating system but it gives no details. Could the video card itself have a problem?

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

Your system details please?
Model number: HP Pavilion XXXXXXX ?

Edited by ReviverSoft, 04 January 2010 - 06:18 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 konfuzed

konfuzed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Ok Have a Hp a6150y with Windows Vista home premium 32 bit and the video card is a NVidea Geforce 8400gs.1.0 gb ram . Service pack 2. Intel ® core Duo cpu e4400@2.00 GHZ

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

Hi,

I suggest you try updating your video card drivers to the latest version, from here.

If the drivers fail to fix the problem, it might be a hardware issue pertaining to your video card.

#7 konfuzed

konfuzed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:49 PM

I have updated the driver,with no success. I am leaning towards a hardware problem as this starts to occur after the computer has been running a while,which would lead me to believe that as the video card heats up a problem is occurring. I went on to Nvidia's forum and they listed overheating as a potential cause. They cannot pinpoint a cause and apparently this same problem has afflicted many users(there is athread with 113 pages dedicated to this issue). I guess it is time to replace the video card. Any suggestions ? Should I go with a direct replacement or is there a better choice?

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

In your case, I would suggest a better option.
Let us know your requirements.

#9 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

it sounded like a hardware problem before the heating issue, and that makes it sound like even more of a hardware problem. If the video card's heatsink is borderline uncomfortably hot when your problem occurs, thats most likely the cause. if it were my machine I would put in a new card, preferably one that has an onboard fan. Also if your case has inadequate cooling in general make sure u have a working case fan or 2 in there. I added a slot fan in the slot right next to the video card on mine too, just to give it a little extra cooling for gaming.

#10 konfuzed

konfuzed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

Resolution(a few months later). I replaced the video card and problem solved. The old one was packed with dust,so I will try to clean it out more often.

#11 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

This issue seems to be settled as of now so I will close it. If there is need for this topic to be reopened please pm a moderator and request it to be opened. This pertains to the topic started only.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users