Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver removal software for beginners

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jnl

jnl

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:31 PM

It has been suggested to me to download Driver Sweeper. I read some poor reviews of the product: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,...,4/reviews.html
Since I am not familiar with drivers, I am concerned about accidentally deleting drivers I need. Is there a driver uninstaller program for beginners? I know some of them say it's not good for beginners to use them, but I can't find one that IS good for beginners.

The reason I'm doing this, is because I want to get Catalyst Control Center off my PC (HP e9107c). It won't show up in the "uninstall programs" list. It won't show up on Revo uninstaller either. I'm not sure how else to uninstall it. I tried deleting the actual folder marked Catalyst Control Center and recycling it. I also tried ending the processes on the task manager. It's still there.

Edited by jnl, 03 January 2010 - 04:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

That is bundled with all ATI drivers and I do not believe it can be uninstalled\removed.

What can be done is exiting it by right clicking on the icon in the system tray then using msconfig to disable it from start up.

#3 jnl

jnl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Thanks I disabled it on startup!

I just called HP Support to help with completely uninstalling it. They helped me find it in the device manager, display adapter, graphics controller, ATI Radeon HD 4350. I clicked uninstall and was prompted "Do you want to remove driver with this program?" I was inclined to click yes, but she wanted to me not click it. Then when I restarted, it said that it just reinstalled the ATI Radeon HD 4350. Then we got cut off...

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

If your machine has the ATI Radeon HD 4350 as the graphics card then you can not uninstall the Control Center. As demonstrated by the message you got it will take the driver with it as well. Then when you restart the driver will of course be reinstalled, along with the control center.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

I stand corrected. ATI does offer just the driver. The second Download button here.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

You can download a Startup Manager to keep it from running
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 jnl

jnl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

@ThunderZ
Thank you for the download link. What does the driver do by itself without the Catalyst Software Suite? I don't understand the difference as far as graphics, other than the obvious reason that it gets CCC off my computer.

How do I install this Display Driver and get rid of the other one? Do I install the new one first and then remove the old one? If I remove the old one first it will probably just reinstall itself, right?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

The driver is basically a piece of software that controls a particular piece of hardware. CCC is a hopped up = more options, version of the Windows Display program found in Control panel or by right clicking on your Desk top and selecting properties.

Your best bet to uninstall the CCC, which will uninstall the current ATI driver as well, without a specialized tool is in safe mode. The when you restart and it attempts to reinstall cancel the install. Then double click on the downloaded ATI package to install just the driver.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Then double click on the downloaded ATI package to install just the driver.

It will say something like "Do you want to do the Express download or custom download?"
Choose custom. That way you can decide what to add
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 jnl

jnl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

Thank you for all the help with this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users