Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to browse network shares

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 frank_cheese

frank_cheese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

I am unable to browse shares or connect to printers on one computer running windows xp pro, it has multiple shares and the printer is shared, everything worked fine until about 2 weeks ago. Then suddenly no machines could connect to that one, some running xp pro, some running 7, but that computer can also connect to these other ones and they can connect to each other. it is getting an ip address and can access both the LAN and the internet. It also has had no changes made to it recently that could affect this, and has had its firewall temporarily disabled in case that was the problem. I also have a NAS box (A Buffalo LS-CHL LinkStation Live) and every machine can connect to that. I cannot ping the problem computer, and when telnetting to the NAS box that is also unable to ping it. This is a real pain as the printer is attached to that pc, consequently any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 03 January 2010 - 04:27 PM.

Failure is not an option, it comes as Standard with all Windows Operating Systems

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wexx

wexx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:35 AM

I am unable to browse shares or connect to printers on one computer running windows xp pro, it has multiple shares and the printer is shared, everything worked fine until about 2 weeks ago. Then suddenly no machines could connect to that one, some running xp pro, some running 7, but that computer can also connect to these other ones and they can connect to each other. it is getting an ip address and can access both the LAN and the internet. It also has had no changes made to it recently that could affect this, and has had its firewall temporarily disabled in case that was the problem. I also have a NAS box (A Buffalo LS-CHL LinkStation Live) and every machine can connect to that. I cannot ping the problem computer, and when telnetting to the NAS box that is also unable to ping it. This is a real pain as the printer is attached to that pc, consequently any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

up for this.same problem with mine. i can ping the printer machine but i cant print on it. its a lan printer or ip printer. and the other computers was unable to browse the shared files..the computers that unable to browse in the network has a problem or virus detected by nod32 eset. a variant win32/kryptik.zd trojan..pls help regarding this matter.. any help would be appreciated. TIA

Edited by wexx, 06 January 2010 - 01:38 AM.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

What is your IP setup for the problem machine and any one of the other machines? What do mean by can't connect to this machine and can connect to others.....The problem machine can connect to shares on the other computers? Do you get an error message or does it just hang there when trying to connect to the problem computer?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 frank_cheese

frank_cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

They are recieving automatically designated ip addresses from the DHCP pool on the router, all other machines work. the NAS box has a static ip, but the other machines that work with each other have automatic ones so i dont think that is the problem, i have also tried giving them manual ones and it didnt solve the problem. Well it has about a 5 minute think and then i get the message '\\computer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if youhave access permissions. The network path was not found.'Oh and the guest account is enabled and active, with no password.

Edited by frank_cheese, 11 January 2010 - 04:36 PM.

Failure is not an option, it comes as Standard with all Windows Operating Systems

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

I truly dislike the guest account being enabled. It leaves you open for all sort of nasty stuff. A better way to share stuff is to create a single account with the same password on every computer and use a log on and log off script to map them automatically. Have you checked the share permissions? Have you checked the NTFS permissions? Have you applied any updates or patches? How does problem box act when you map a drive or ping another computer?
Mark Twain

#6 frank_cheese

frank_cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:14 AM

Usually i would agree, however there is a firewall on the router, the wireless is encrypted and not broadcasting and is also mac address restricted, hence i have no problem with leaving the guest account enabled. Yes, they are correct however the intriguing bit is that it isnt the share i cant connect to, it is browsing the computer in general. I cant even connect, so i cant see printers or shares, regardless of the permissions. I recall trying this and i dont think it got a reply...but i'm not at it at the moment so i will try again and inform you. I was also thinking i could try making a remote desktop connection to the problem pc. Although even if it will connect, i still have the problem with browsing to it from a networked pc.

#7 frank_cheese

frank_cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:16 AM

And no i have not applied anything new or installed anything, as i said in the first post - it was fine and then just stopped working, with no changes made whatsoever. I was thinking it could be Malware of some description but as of yet i haven't found anything on the computer or found anyone having similar problems.

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

I am beginning to suspect the TCP\IP stack is corrupted in some way. Have you tried to uninstall\reinstall TCP\IP from the problem computer?
Mark Twain

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

If the problem PC can connect to the net, it can see and connect to the other PCs and it can connect to the NAS but none of them can connect to it or ping it then there is something blocking the connection.

I know you said you disabled the firewall but think about it. Think about what I just typed and you'll see that there is nothing wrong with the PC's ability to be on or connect to a network. It is the things on that network connecting to it that are being denied. That stands out to me as something stopping them from making that connection. What firewall are you running? Check the settings. If there is an exception list check it. Maybe delete it if you can and deny/allow stuff again.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 frank_cheese

frank_cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

Well due to the firewall and intrusion detector on the router, i am only using windows firewall, but that is disabled, even the service has been disabled and prevented from starting. There is an exceptions list but the file and print sharing is enabled for local subnet, and surely if the firewall is disabled then it shouldnt make a difference? Plus nothing has changed on the machine in longer than i can rememeber, i tried using system restore to restore to a point before this started happening and it doesnt make a difference. We must be missing something...thanks for the help so far though, guys, much appreciated :thumbsup:

#11 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:22 AM

Looking around the web found something to check. Check this registry entry to see if it is the same. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
Mark Twain

#12 frank_cheese

frank_cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

It is set to DWORD 0, and i also checked the group policy and it isnt restriciting access to anonymous users or the guest account...

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

And you're sure there is no other firewall on the machine? What antivirus are you running? I still think there is something blocking all incoming traffic to this PC, you can get out to all things but nothing can get in not even pinging.

If you are 100% sure nothing on the PC is blocking access, then I'd go into the router and back up its settings. Then reset it and see if that opens it up. If not then you can just restore the old settings. If it does then it was the router.

This has nothing to do with permissions or group policies. You can't ping the IP address, the most basic of network tests. And because you can get out to the network from that PC, there is nothing wrong with its connection. You can't get into that PC, the only thing that makes sense is something is blocking it. If you reset your router and it doesn't fix it then its something on the PC.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#14 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

I would restart the windows firewall service. Then reset the fire wall config to default. re-enable file sharing and test. Not working? then try to change the exceotions on port 445 to any computer and test.
Mark Twain

#15 frank_cheese

frank_cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

Yes i agree, pinging it should always work, however the ability to browse the machine could be prevented by denying access to guest users, or to all users from the network, which is a setting in GP and there is a similar one in the registry, however both of these are disabled. I am definately not running any other firewall software, but i might try disabling the antivirus software and then attempting to connect. Baltboy, i dont see that re enabling the firewall would help? It is already set to this, then it was disabled, then the service was stopped, it doesnt appear under the current services or processes, so it is definately not windows firewall doing this. I have checked the router settings, but find it very unlikely that it is the router as every other machine works, and the black list is empty, plus that only affects wireless traffic unless a wired MAC filter is enabled, which it is currently not as if someone broke into my house, i doubt it would be to use my broadband!! Again though guys, thanks for your help, as you may have worked out by now, i do know my stuff but this has really got me stumped!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users