Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume, and Windows CD doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 harvp

harvp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hi

Thanks in advance for any help

I've got a a Dell Lattitude D820 with Windows XP home.

One day, out of the blue, I started getting an error message when Windows tries to boot.

Unmountable_Boot_Volume

with some unhelpful directions, and then at the bottom,

Stop: 0X000000ED (0x864FB590, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I checked out some different places and the general advice was to try and boot windows from the Windows CD. After setting the BIOS and cleaning the disk, this is what happens

Blue screen with “Windows Setup” appears and at the bottom it tells me all the little steps it's taking to get windows going. It all goes well and I get “Setup is starting Windows”

but then I get another blue screen of doom, this one says:

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF76130BF, 0xF7A5F208, 0xF7A5EF08)

pci.sys- Address F76130BF base at F760C000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

I'm not even sure I can reformat if the CD won't work. Ugh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

Are you using IDE or SATA. Did you check to be sure you are using the proper cable if you are using IDE? That could cause the first error and the second error. The second error is a driver based error. Hopefully you have a backup because there is a possibility your hard drive is dying. My suggestion...check the cabling...remove any unneeded hardware from the computer...check to make sure everything else is seated properly and try to start up. How old is the computer?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

The PCI.sys file only comes into play...if you are trying to load XP. It's an XP system file, cannot operate until XP boots.

XP does not boot when using the Recovery Console...system files cannot normally be accessed/changed...from within XP, which is why the RC closes XP down to run commands like chkdsk /r, fixboot, fixmbr, etc.

If you are getting notifications about when trying to access/run commands from the Recovery Console...something is amiss.

FWIW: The typical cure for the Unmountable Boot Volume error...is to run chkdsk /r on the system partition/drive. In the event that chkdsk /r cannot complete...it's probably an indication of a file system or hard drive problem (same impact, need to reinstall XP).

If I could not run chkdsk /r (for whatever reason), I would choose to run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive.

Louis

#4 Mauver

Mauver

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

Blue screen with “Windows Setup” appears and at the bottom it tells me all the little steps it's taking to get windows going. It all goes well and I get “Setup is starting Windows”

but then I get another blue screen of doom, this one says:

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF76130BF, 0xF7A5F208, 0xF7A5EF08)

pci.sys- Address F76130BF base at F760C000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

I'm not even sure I can reformat if the CD won't work. Ugh.

I'm also BSODing in the process of "starting windows" right before the prompt for the recovery console. I'm having a different error though; might be because of the file I removed. But yeah, I'm having a similar problem in that way.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

Well...with possible file system or hard drive problems looming...I suspect that you need to concern yourself with moving any data files from the drive...before continuing.

I hesitate to suggest this (because it seems that I suggest it every day)...but you may want to think about replacing your CMOS battery. IME, a weak battery can make a system behave strangely, as can a memory problem.

Louis

#6 harvp

harvp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

run chkdsk /r on the system partition/drive

Can someone explain to me how to do this?

I'm going to try and get the cable to get my files off the hard drive as soon as i get paid this week.

Also, is the recovery console a seperate disc from just the XP disc, because if so, I don't have it.

Thx for the help, sorry I need extra explaining :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

The Recovery Console is on the same XP CD which is issued by Microsoft.

It is not necessarily on CDs which are issued by Dell, Gateway, etc.

The easiest way to run chkdsk /r from a system that boots is to follow the instructions for Starting Check Disk at CHKDSK Utility - http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html.

If the system doesn't boot and the drive cannot be removed and attached to a working system, chkdsk /r can be run from the XP Recovery Console. In addition to being on the MS Genuine XP CD, the Recovery Console can be downloaded (.iso file) and burned to CD (using a special program), resulting in a CD which can be run (doesn't matter if system boots into XP or not).

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users