Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD drive problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BobTheMighty

BobTheMighty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:27 PM

I'm having a very strange problem, and I'm unsure what to do about it. To put it simply, certain CDs no longer read in my drive. For instance, if I put in the Doom 3 disc 1, it pretends there's nothing there. However, if I put in Doom 3 disc 2, it reads just fine. Since I need disc 1 to play, this is rather distressing, and I'm curious if anyone knows why it does this. It also doesn't read any of the Far Cry discs, or the Diablo 2 install disc (the play disc works just fine).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:28 PM

Have you tried cleaning the discs and the laser?

#3 covers

covers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:14 PM

Recently my disc drive stopped reading any disc i try and play for some reson. The drive makes unusual noises which i have never heard before. My computer says the the disc drive is working properly but every disc i have tried using is either not regonised or supposed to be a blank disc.

I re-installed my modem today by using the installation disc provided and that is the only disc that has worked since i discovered this problem.

Please help!!!! CHEERS

#4 Grumpdaddy1

Grumpdaddy1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:53 PM

Covers,

Strange that only one disk out of how many will read. Your problem sounds more like the lense is sticking. It travels along a track inside the ROM (reads inside to outside) As certain files are located on different physical spots on the disk, the laser may not be getting to them (huh?)

Try removing the drive and opening it up. Be careful with this but you should be able to see the laser lense and carrier. Make sure the lense can travel its entire length by carefuly moving it all the back and out. It should be smooth. Check for chipped or broken worm gear and teeth on the track/carrier. Check the band that spins the disk is not broken or worn out. Make sure it is riding in its pulleys properly.

Another thing to check is the clearance between the tray and front of drive. Some units will stall if the tray is not fully retracted. It is interlocked with the laser carrier. Make sure the gears and rack that drive the tray are not damaged or have junk in them. This mechanism is usually lubricated with petroleum jelly or dielectric grease.

Windows will always say the drive is functioning because it only checks the checksum info loaded on a chip on the CD ROM circuit board. As long as it powers up and is cabled right, Windows will see it as a functioning device.

Hope this helps.

-Grump

"Ignorance begins the day you think you know it all" -anonymous
"Ignorance begins the day you think you know it all"

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:01 PM

covers,
Please start your own thread with your problem.
Two people posting problems in the same thread, could cause one persons problem to get lost in the shuffle.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users