Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 emwiggy

emwiggy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

I had some malware or spyware and got rid of it. Since then, I haven't been able to connect to the internet. I asked in a different forum and received lots of advice, but unfortunately, nothing worked. I have run numerous programs, including MBAM, SAS, rkill, ATF and others. The forum link to my first question is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/283485/removed-spyware-and-now-cannot-connect-to-internet/

I was getting the "webpage cannot be displayed" screen everytime I tried to open the internet. I've checked all my connections and it shows it's connect, but doesn't do anything. I am using this same connection on my laptop.

After trying everything that was suggested and everything failed to fix the problem, I resorted to the windows xp restore disk. I ran it through the repair option on the disk. Now, instead of "webpage cannot be displayed, check connection...", get the following page:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Can anyone help me???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

Are you connected to a router or directly to your modem? I am assuming you have broadband.

Open a command prompt -> type ipconfig /all and hit Enter. What is listed under "Ethernet adapter Local area connection:" for IP address? Default Gateway? DNS servers? If you are connected directly to a modem, just give us the first 2 sets of numbers but if connected to a router you can give the entire thing.

Example: connected to a router - 192.168.2.2. directly to a modem - 174.56.x.x

Get us that info and we'll go from there =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 emwiggy

emwiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

I am connected through a router. I've tried connecting without the router too, but no change.

I opened command prompt and typed in ipconfig/all and hit enter.

IP 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers 209.18.47.61

Edited by emwiggy, 03 January 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#4 emwiggy

emwiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:21 AM

Can anyone help me?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

Ok first things first - Open IE -> Click Tools -> Internet Options -> Program tab, click Reset Web Settings, click OK on the box that pops up -> Click the Advanced tab and click restore defaults -> Click OK and close IE

Open a command prompt type ipconfig /release and hit Enter -> then type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter. If no errors, type ping google.com and hit Enter, if all sent and received open IE and try to surf. Any joy?

If no joy, in the address bar of IE type 74.125.65.106 and hit Enter. Any Joy?

If no joy, at the command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns and hit Enter Open IE and try to surf. Both by URL = google.com and IP = the numbers. Any joy?

If no joy, we try the Calculator test - Click Start -> click run -> type calc and hit Enter -> Windows calculator should open, click Help -> Help Topics -> at the very tip top of the window will be the word Calculator and to the left will be a piece of paper with a yellow ?, click that piece of paper -> click Jump to URL -> in the box that pops up, type http://www.google.com, yes you need the http:// and click OK. Does google open on the right side of the help window?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 emwiggy

emwiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

I reset the web settings and restored defaults.

I released and renewed the ip. No errors. I pinged google...it sent and received. could not surf

I typed the number in the address bar and hit enter. didn't work

I flushed the dns...no luck with either google.com or the ip

Calculator test didn't open up google on the right side...i'm still getting the same error page that I copied into the original post...

One thing I've noticed, and I don't know if this has anything to with anything...when I type in www.google.com into the address bar, it appears to be searching for the site...in the status bar at the bottom of the screen, I see it working, but it looks like its adding things to the end of what I typed...I typed in www.google.com and at the bottom I see it running through www.google.com.com, www.google.com.edu, www.google.com.net, www.google.com.org

any other ideas?

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

Goto this folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC and delete the HOSTS file. Open IE and see if you can surf.

If you can't see that folder - open Windows Explorer(Windows key + E) -> click Tools -> Folder options -> View tab. click beside Show hidden files and folders and take the check mark out of Hide protected operating system files Click OK and reopen Windows Explorer and look for that folder and file

Do you have another browser? Firefox?

#8 emwiggy

emwiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

deleted that file. i still can't surf.

i do not have any other browser other than IE. Do you think that would fix the problem? If so, can I download whatever I need to my laptop and transfer it over on my flash drive?

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

Ok...there is something seriously wrong with IE.

I would always recommend having more than one browser installed. And I have 3 or 4 install files just in case =)

So yes I would recommend getting Firefox on there.

This site will explain how to repair/reinstall IE. Since you have IE 7, I think Method 2 should be your choice. You can look for IE 8 for XP, there is such a thing but IE 8 in general wasn't made for XP.

#10 emwiggy

emwiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

I downloaded Firefox and it works just fine.

Thanks for all your help!

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

lol cool

You'll need IE for stuff but whatever works =)

#12 emwiggy

emwiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

So I still need to figure out how to get IE back working? What do I need IE for that Firefox can't provide?

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

IE is tied to the OS. You can't update Windows in Firefox only in IE. I don't know about auto updates if you need IE or not. There are other things but I wouldn't worry about it.

The last thing I would try is over installing IE 7 and if that doesn't work, forget about it for now.

#14 emwiggy

emwiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

I tried to reinstall IE 7 and it didn't work...

But I was reading another forum where someone could use Firefox and not IE. Someone said to open up IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings and check to see if the proxy server box was checked. Mine was checked...so I unchecked it...and now IE works.

I know nothing about proxy server or what it even is...is this something that should or shouldn't be checked? Does it matter?

All I know is that IE is working, but I want to make sure that I'm ok with having that proxy server box unchecked.

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

I'm betting that was checked when you were infected. I shoulda thought of that. I'm a Sad Panda!

Think of a proxy server in this case as a puppet. You use it to talk to the net but no one actually knows its you. But no you don't need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users