Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can not connect to my linksys wireless roiuter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tkupiec

tkupiec

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

I got my wife a new toshiba laptop for christmas and we use a linksys wireless router in our house. We a=have 2 other laptops which connect with no issue. When I try to connect the new laptop it asks for a security password which no one knows about, how can I find out the password?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

Are you sure you are connecting to your wireless router?

If you don't have security setup on your router you should.

to check - On one of the laptops that connect, open a browser -> in the address bar type 192.168.1.1 and hit Enter, a box should pop up asking for a UN and PW, leave the UN blank and for the password type admin and hit Enter -> Near the top you should see Wireless, click it -> the window that appears should have your general wireless info, the SSID(the name of the wireless, when you see a list of available wireless networks this is the one you should connect to), channel, if its B or G or both -> below where you clicked Wireless should be the word Security, click it -> this is where you set security for your wireless. If its enabled then you need to match what is there with the new laptop. If it is not, my suggestion would be to enable some, but not over a wireless connection. You'll want to plug the laptop into the router and browse to it that way. NEVER make changes to your router over wireless. You can look all you want, click on anything you want as long as you never click Save or Apply changes you'll be just fine.

If you have security set up, what kind? WEP? WPA/WPA2?

If you don't and want help with that, we'll need to know the model and revision of your router and what is the brand and model number of your wireless card?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users