Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 perchcv

perchcv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

I'm a 55 year old computer idiot. I've never used the recovery console. Dell is no help I have a hardware warranty but they won't cover software and want me to pay 135 bucks to tell me how to get into it.
I can get to it from the disk but it asks for my admin password i've never set one so I can't get in. I've done some reading and I believe I can handle things when I get in there but I just can't.
The computer won't boot and tells me I need to run CHKDSK /f. I use a Dell 410 and Window XPS.
I'd dearly love to get things operational again. Thanks Alot :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

Normally, there is no password for RC access...just hit Enter at that line and you should advance.

The command that you want to run is chkdsk /r, which includes the chkdsk /f command functions and is more complete.

Louis

#3 perchcv

perchcv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

Just hit ,enter, was the first thing I tried. It went back to request administrator password. I know no password is set. I will try again and let you know what happens. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users