Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nateg90

Nateg90

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hello all,
I read the slow computer thread at the top of the page in hopes of finding a solution to my slow start up, but didnt find anything that worked for my computer.

What it is doing:
Upon button click, the computer loads normally until it reaches the Windows "Welcome" screen. It stays here for approx. 1:20 (min/sec). Then it moves to my desktop background and stays there for another 2 min. Then the icons load.

What i have done:
I downloaded a program to help me see the startup apps running. I believe the program was called "Autoruns". I deleted/stopped some unnecessary programs (i.e. msn messenger, etc...) Still slow.

I downloaded Spybot S&D, imunized and ran the search, found nothing.

My college requires all computers to have virus protection software and they provide an edition of McAfee that i use. It has found nothing as well.

I ran CHKDSK, and it deleted 2 files, but still the computer runs slow. (Same times as listed before)

I ran Disk Defrag and Disk Cleanup, still with no benefit.

Thank you for your help, and i appologize if i missed another thread answering this problem. I did try and search for related threads, but didnt find anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

If your system hangs at the Welcome screen...it might indicate a damaged profile (just a wild guess, not to be considered an accurate assessment).

You could test it by (temporarily) creating another Admin profile and seeing if it experiences the same phenomena.

Create a Duplicate User Profile with a Different Name - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dupprofile.htm

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users