Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps crashing, at my wits end.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vagabondette

vagabondette

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

I have an EEEPC 1000 that I've completely messed up. Almost a month ago I removed a SD card while it was still actively transferring images (my SD reader is built in if that makes a difference) at the moment of removal my computer froze and I got a dark blue/black screen. Ever since then, at random times, my computer will freeze and/or I'll get the black screen. Occasionally I'll get a boot error that says certain files are missing or corrupt but I've reinstalled a nlite version of XP Home and I reformatted the HD (it's solid state if that matters) before I did the reinstall so nothing should be missing or corrupt with the OS.

I did a RAM test and it came back clean. I've also done random other things that people on other forums have suggested with no success.

As an added complication, my optical drive is external and I can't get it to be recognized now (since I did the OS reinstall) so I can't boot from it.

I've tried to keep this short while still providing the necessary info but if you need more, please ask. I've gone beyond frustrated and am considering buying a new laptop but I really don't have the money right now.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

You say you did a reinstall and format, the format should have cleared all data with no traces left behind. I do not understand how anything was left behind, will you machine read a USB stick? If it does you may be able to find something to dig you out of this hole.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 vagabondette

vagabondette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:57 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. I did the reformat during the reinstall so the OS is installed and working (I'm using it now) but it keeps crashing at random times like it was doing before I reinstalled the OS so apparently that's not the problem. But, I have no idea how to find out what the problem IS. I'm hoping people can give me some feedback.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

Since you are using an n-lite version, I will assume it was made from a legit version of XP which you have a legal key for.

Is this your machine? Did you download and install all the required drivers?

In the mean time we will hope that the nlite version was made correctly and no critical files were removed.

Edited by ThunderZ, 03 January 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

If the system boots...do a search for any .dmp files...and then follow the directions for Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/ .

You might also How To Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/.

You might also take a look in Event Viewer for errors which might provide clues.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#6 vagabondette

vagabondette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

Since you are using an n-lite version, I will assume it was made from a legit version of XP which you have a legal key for.

Is this your machine? Did you download and install all the required drivers?

In the mean time we will hope that the nlite version was made correctly and no critical files were removed.

Yes to almost all of those questions but I have the 1000, not the 1000H (for some reason I can't get the site to load the products so I can't link). It originally came with Linux and has a split (8/32) 40GB SSD. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/10-Inch-Netbook-Proc...y/dp/B001BY97IU

Just a reminder that this problem existed before I did the OS reinstall. I did the reinstall because of the problem, it didn't cause it. Unfortunately it also didn't fix it. The laptop had been working perfectly for a year until this happened - up until the instant when I removed the SD card.

@ Hamluis - I'll check that out, thanks.

Edited by vagabondette, 03 January 2010 - 04:44 PM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

Drivers are here.

But since you are experiencing the same trouble even though OS`s have been changed I`m thinking hardware. Hamluis`s post is probably your best course of action to try and narrow it down.

#8 vagabondette

vagabondette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

I read the instructions that Hamluis linked to but I can't find any .dmp files. I did a search for *.dmp including hidden files but got nothing.

I don't know if this is because I'm not getting the blue screen of death and I don't get error messages when it crashes (only occasionally when booting) it just freezes or goes to black and I have to force shut-down using the power button.

But perhaps I somehow turned them off?

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

Since this is an nlite`d version then it may no longer have the ability to create said files.

Have you checked the drivers site I linked to? Does Device Manager contain any ? or ! ?

#10 vagabondette

vagabondette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

would it make sense to do a full OS install rather than the nlite version?

That's where I downloaded the drivers from and I got and installed all of them.

I checked the device manager, there are no errors being shown.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:13 PM

That would be my suggestion. N-lite versions can be great if they are done properly. But in this case it just may not be suitable.

#12 vagabondette

vagabondette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

ok, I'll look into doing that when I get back to the disc. But the more I read the more I think it's a RAM issue. The nlite version I used was the same as what I used before and it worked for a year with no problems. Would the OS suddenly go bad and not be fixed with a reinstall? And I read that if, when your computer freezes, the cursor moves it's more likely to be a software error but if the cursor is also frozen then it's more likely to be a hardware issue. I just wish I knew what the heck I was doing. :thumbsup:

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:15 AM

Run Memtest, on the left is the free version.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users