Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Pro won't load

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 why2kwill

why2kwill

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

HP dx2000 Computer and Monitor
Processor: Intel Celeron 2.53 GHz
Ram: 512 MB
Hardrive: 40 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/sp3

I recently bought this computer used and do not have any installation or recovery disks.
Yesterday I re-booted my system after installing a microsoft update for IE. The Win xp screen came up but never loaded. I shut down the machine and it re-started on it's on and took me to advanced start up(?) There I had several options to re-start in safe mode, last known good configuration, re-boot normal etc.
I tried all the safe mode options but couldn't get into safe mode. Instead the screen filled up with 24 different drivers, the first one was this:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\ADPU160M.sys... then it listed 23 more drivers
I tried re-booting into last known good config and re-boot normal and that just brought me back to the loading win xp screen. Tried re-booting normally with only the monitor connected and that didn't help either.
Besides the microsoft update I very recently uninstalled latest edition of firefox via add/remove panel
Installed photo editing software from a usually reliable source and I also tried to run a Fonts CD which was actually for win95 and 3.1. I was able to view the fonts but didn't install anything as the cd drive started making strange noises, so i removed the cd.
any help would be appreciated and thanks.

1/03

did some more fiddling and was able to enter BIOS and something called, Intel Boot Agent and got the following message: PXE E61 media test failure, check cables.
In BIOS the booting sequence is:

CD/DVD:SM-Lite-on
1st floppy
HDD:PM - Samsung SP
Network IBA - FE S1
I have no original or recovery disks so I don't understand why the 1st boot sequence is CD/DVD. Shouldnt it be HDD?
Actually, I don't understand anything about BIOS so....any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

<<...so I don't understand why the 1st boot sequence is CD/DVD. Shouldnt it be HDD?>>

Depends on what the user wants.

If the user is experiencing problems...he/she often sets the CD/DVD as the first boot device...in order to troubleshoot or reinstall XP via CD easily.

If the BIOS is working properly, it checks the boot order listed...sees that there is no bootable device in a selection...and moves down the list until it finds a bootable device.

FWIW: The floppy should be moved from the first two options in the boot order, since these days a system will boot either from hard drive or optical drive.

But...it appears that your BIOS is not working properly...since you get the PXE message. Any reference to PXE during boot...normally indicates that the system is trying a network boot. When this is not the intent, it's usually an indication that the CMOS battery is failing and needs to be replaced.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

After replacing it, you will have to set the correct date/time in the BIOS...an important, easy step. Your BIOS will contain instructions on how to modify the date/time. When done, hit F10, answer Yes, and the system will automatically boot into XP.

Louis

#3 why2kwill

why2kwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for your response and I just want to be sure we are on the same page; The computer did not alert me to the PXE issue, I found it accidently when i tapped either the f10 or f12 key during re-boot. Does that make a difference?
Also, when I researched 'PXE E61 media test failure' I came away with the understanding that one possible cause was bios trying to network boot and the other cause mentioned was either hard drive or motherboard failure. If it's just the battery that would be great.
If you could indulge me a little further, not knowing anythng about BIOS... after researching I had this visualization that bios was skipping down the sequence list and trying to boot from #4-network instead of from #1-cd/dvd. However, booting from 1-cd/dvd is a mystery to me as there is nothing in my cd drive to boot from and, with the same flawed logic, I would think booting from the HD would be the # 1 choice since that's where operating system is located.
I read the instructions for changing the battery and in step 2 I'm directed to a link for more instructions but there's no link there, any idea of the address?
Thanks again.
Bill

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Changing the CMOS battery is simple (for a desktop):

a. Open the case.

b. Visually look at the motherboard and find the CMOS battery and note which side is up (probably the side with the plus-sign.).

c. Carefully remove the battery, do not damage the retention clips/device.

d. Insert new battery.

e. Reset date/time.

f. Click F10 to save changes, type Y, hit Enter.

I forgot that some links I use are somewhat dated and refer to doing things that formerly needed to be done. It is not necessary to save your CMOS settings, etc. before removing the old battery.

Louis

#5 why2kwill

why2kwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

Thanks again, glad I don't have to record and re-enter all of the bios data. I'll keep this open til I get the battery..I contacted HP and they're shpping me recovery disks.
bill

#6 why2kwill

why2kwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

replaced battery and when I put power cord on machine it powered up by itself and emitted 2 beeps..this is the first time I've heard any beeps from machine since purchasing it. I powered off because i still had to connect monitor cable.
when I powered back up, no beeps, and back to where i was before replacing battery.
I forgot to re-set the bios time. do you think that will really make a difference as whether xp
starts up? I'd hate to get my hopes up.
should'nt all computers emit a beep at start up? If so, there was something wrong with machine when I purchased it even tho seller said machine was working properly. perhaps I can get them to fix it or put it back under their warranty umbrella.
thanks

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

<<should'nt all computers emit a beep at start up?>>

Some motherboards/systems...don't emit a POST beep.

It may be a flaw, it may be because the internal speaker is properly connected, etc...I don't know.

If the board/system has historically emitted such, it should continue to do so. If it historically has not, I would not worry about it.

HP systems have their own beep codes, http://docs.hp.com/en/AB216-90001/ch04s03.html.

Two beeps seem to indicate a power supply problem, please read the above link.

Louis

#8 why2kwill

why2kwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

thanks. when i changed the battery, if that was problem, should the system have booted up properly or do I have to change the time/date settings first?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users